Recent content by geerlingguy

  1. geerlingguy

    VCFMW 2026 Should Be Sweet!

    Posted a video about the ShadyTel setup, and the new T1 Frequency Reference they added on this year :) They built a phone company for one weekend (ShadyTel at VCFMW 21)
  2. geerlingguy

    MacEffects Clear SE & SE/30 Cases Now Available!

    I missed out on this last time, fingers crossed there will be another production run someday :)
  3. geerlingguy

    VCFMW 2026 Should Be Sweet!

    I was driving my in-laws up to northern IL so I rented a minivan so they would be comfortable, and so I could have enough cargo space to bring four old machines and a few boxes of stuff for the free pile. Otherwise I would've jammed up every nook and cranny of my Leaf for the drive! Most people...
  4. geerlingguy

    VCFMW 2026 Should Be Sweet!

    Yeah, I'm interested in seeing how it ends up! I'm sure it will feature in many a video / photo from the event.
  5. geerlingguy

    SE/30 ferrite core missing preventing horizontal CRT adjustment?

    Works great, though due to the length of the shaft, I had to get at the width adjustment from inside the case. That's a bit of a hairy operation since I don't like waving my hand around in that area haha I've printed a couple dozen of these and will hand them out like candy at VCF Midwest :D
  6. geerlingguy

    SE/30 ferrite core missing preventing horizontal CRT adjustment?

    Thanks! I just looked on Printables, and someone made the perfect little print for this: TV set / CRT alignment tool (tweaker) Even better, someone in the Makes has a picture of it being used on the SE (and someone else said they used it on the Classic), so seems like the perfect tool for the...
  7. geerlingguy

    SE/30 ferrite core missing preventing horizontal CRT adjustment?

    Oh I've never had one of those! I'll have to find a plastic bit set or maybe even 3D print one... I did notice it looked like a hexagonal shaft inside. Maybe I should look up the SE/30 repair manual before I post here next time, heh.
  8. geerlingguy

    VCFMW 2026 Should Be Sweet!

    I'll have a table this year too. It was too much fun my first time last year, I hope this will be an annual tradition :)
  9. geerlingguy

    SE/30 ferrite core missing preventing horizontal CRT adjustment?

    I picked up an SE/30 last year at VCF Midwest, and I procrastinated until this week to even test it out. Mostly works, has a new ROM SIMM, has 20MB of RAM, yadda yadda. So far I've: Added a BlueSCSI v2 Set up System 7.5.5 with MacTCP and an Asante network card for networking (Netscape 2.0 works...
  10. geerlingguy

    "Platinum" PLA for Macs and Apple ][s

    Just printed my first object with this filament — it seems to be a tad bit more oozy than others (at same humidity level), and it also popped off my textured build sheet on my first attempt (yay spaghetti!). But it's all good now, and looks like a pretty close match to the Mac IIcx case I have...
  11. geerlingguy

    MARCHintosh 2026 Projects

    For any FireWire aficionados, I got to test a prototype Raspberry Pi HAT that adds on a single FireWire 400 port, and I wrote up a blog post about it: Bring back MiniDV with this Raspberry Pi FireWire HAT In the course of testing (and working on the video that goes with that post), I got to...
  12. geerlingguy

    MARCHintosh 2026 Projects

    My MARCHintosh has been busy, some year I'll join in GlobalTalk, but for now I'm using it as an excuse to work through the backlog of old Macs I have sitting on shelves un-inventoried... So far: I finally put together my Pico Micro Mac — the V2 version that required some extra soldering work...
  13. geerlingguy

    Xserve G5 Power Supply Recap

    Heh, if you're me, you just kinda pick at it with snips, a flat head screwdriver, and by torquing the caps around a bit, hoping to not mess up any of the other little components around them! I decided to go that route as things are so densely packed up top.
  14. geerlingguy

    Reinstall Mac OS on iBook G3 clamshell with only USB port?

    I *was* able to boot off the USB drive, but not with the 9.2.2 Universal installer copied to it. So I pulled out a 650 MB CD-R, used `hdiutil burn` to burn the iso to a CD, and popped it in. It was a tiny bit crunch at the start, but the mechanism was pretty happy after that. I got through...
  15. geerlingguy

    And another video, restoring my Aunt's old Mac Classic! [MEDIA]

    And another video, restoring my Aunt's old Mac Classic!