BlueSCSI on Macintosh Portable

Paolo B

Tinkerer
Nov 27, 2021
Nagoya, Japan
So, seems there’s light at the end of the tunnel…

First off, if I use the same SCSI device on the external bus, everything works. So, it must be about the way the Portable is accessing the internal bus, which is likely managed by the software… and, bingo! When I use System 6.0.8, everything works fine, even if the device is mounted on the internal bus.

Will now try a fresh new installation of System 7.1.

Paolo B

Tinkerer
Nov 27, 2021
Nagoya, Japan
So, today I spent some time testing step by step different incremental configurations. System 6, System 7, with various HD drivers. Everything works fine, until the moment I add in to the picture the Wi-Fi thing. At that point the crash happens again (I guess the same situation already reported by @JDW).

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
At that point the crash happens again (I guess the same situation already reported by @JDW).
I confirmed that the "always powered" solution proposed by @Androda works. No more freezes upon wake from sleep if WIFI was active when the machine went to Sleep, but I am not using it at the moment because it requires a male jumper pin to be inserted into one of the holes in the PDS connector, and should that male pin ever slip out, you will have voltage on that wire which could short on something. I suppose I could add hot glue on it to lessen the likelihood of that happening. I don't know. @Paolo B , you might want to give it a try (if you have a diode), see how it works, then let us know your thoughts on it. Since I don't have a battery and use the Portable Battery Eliminator as a result, I don't need to worry about the BSv2 being powered even during sleep. There is no battery to drain on my Portable.

Paolo B

Tinkerer
Nov 27, 2021
Nagoya, Japan
I confirmed that the "always powered" solution proposed by @Androda works. No more freezes upon wake from sleep if WIFI was active when the machine went to Sleep, but I am not using it at the moment because it requires a male jumper pin to be inserted into one of the holes in the PDS connector, and should that male pin ever slip out, you will have voltage on that wire which could short on something. I suppose I could add hot glue on it to lessen the likelihood of that happening. I don't know. @Paolo B , you might want to give it a try (if you have a diode), see how it works, then let us know your thoughts on it. Since I don't have a battery and use the Portable Battery Eliminator as a result, I don't need to worry about the BSv2 being powered even during sleep. There is no battery to drain on my Portable.

I see we're eventually converging, I also have collected evidence that an "always on" solution works (I used a bench PSU).
Bar for the busted pico which is still a complete mystery to me, in the end we expereince the same issues.
So, I will consider the proposed solution, however I only have PSU grade diodes at hand, I need to source something suitable. Any recommendation would be very appreciated, I am not familiar with the selection of the right specs for this kind of component. Thanks.
Surely, though, the idea of having the led always lit is not so appealing, but this could be easily addressed.

Reactions: JDW

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Not sure what a "PSU grade" diode is, so if you know the part number (often printed on the diode body), that would help identify what you have.

I believe that any diode other than a Zener and other than a 1N4148 (which don't come in 1A varieties) should suffice for a basic test. Silicon diodes rated for 1A like the 1N4004 variety will have a larger voltage drop than a Schottky, but it still powered the BSv2 in my tests. I posted the voltages here.

All diodes have a voltage drop across them that varies by the amount of current that flows through them. According to Androda's BSv2 page, current draw can reach 750mA. At that level, a Schottky diode rated for 1A makes more sense than a silicon diode, because the reduced voltage drop of the Schottky would be more apparent.

Reactions: Paolo B

Paolo B

Tinkerer
Nov 27, 2021
Nagoya, Japan
Not sure what a "PSU grade" diode is

Yeah, not a very technical description, I must admit… I just go by heart, I must still have somewhere some diodes I bought for refurbishing a busted PSU rectifier. So, heavy duty, chunky ones.

By the indications you shared, I should be able to source an appropriate component, hopefully on Yahoo auctions for avoiding all the complications with Mouser et al. when you buy small quantities.
It will take some time, but I will surely share the outcome.

Reactions: JDW

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
If by "chunky" you means something like this...

1715570247080.png

...well, those will work too!

They are normal silicon diodes like a 1N4004, but they are chunky boys because they handle 6 Amps! For long term use, their size may be a bother, but such diodes will work for testing purposes just fine, if you have something like that.

Reactions: Paolo B