CRT monitor forum?

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
The apple, commodore and atari sections all feature their own area for monitors - were you meaning a general 'catch all'?

Reactions: DeChief

blkt

New Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
I'd like to 2nd the idea for a dedicated (higher-profile) CRT section. The current CRT forums are buried inside as sub-forums. Most people will never find them. While logic boards, etc. are very well covered in the vintage community, there's relatively little about CRTs.

DeChief

Tinkerer
Oct 17, 2021
Sydney, Australia
linktr.ee
The apple, commodore and atari sections all feature their own area for monitors - were you meaning a general 'catch all'?
I'd like to 2nd the idea for a dedicated (higher-profile) CRT section. The current CRT forums are buried inside as sub-forums. Most people will never find them. While logic boards, etc. are very well covered in the vintage community, there's relatively little about CRTs.
Yes, that was my thinking. Mostly because there are plenty of CRTs out there that aren't made for specific computers but are compatible with them, eg. a composite monitor can be used with most 8-bit computers, so which sub-forum would it go in?

Branchus

Tinker Different Public Relations Liaison 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
We've discussed this and agree that CRTs should indeed have their own section. So do you have any thoughts about the subsections it should include? Should we split them into brands/sizes etc?

DeChief

Tinkerer
Oct 17, 2021
Sydney, Australia
linktr.ee
We've discussed this and agree that CRTs should indeed have their own section. So do you have any thoughts about the subsections it should include? Should we split them into brands/sizes etc?
Some ideas:

• Integrated (e.g. compact Macs)
  • Monochrome
  • Colour RGB
  • Consumer TV
  • PVM/BVM

That could work, I was thinking even simpler than that: one for TVs and one for monitors. However I'm not sure how well regular TVs fit into the forum in general if it's meant to be about computers.