Downvoting posts

Oct 18, 2021
Ohio, USA
thehouseofmoth.com
I just made a post:
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 7.26.15 PM.png

It would be nice if the community can downvote a post like this in case it contains wrong/bad information that would cause someone following that advice to end up damaging their board, or something along those lines.
For example I am new to working on beige Macs and dound this battery holder a great option. But if those more experienced at this feel this is a horrible suggestion for whatever reason, their ability to downvote it would let the rest of the community know it's potentially bad info. Rather than just delete it, downvotes and a discussion in that thread could be a big help.

I say downvotes but any kind of flag to indicate *potentially bad info* would work. With enough downvotes the admins/mods could review the post and see if it needs to be edited or have a warning slapped on it at the top of the post (if the author does not want to edit it).

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
It looks like Xenforo theoretically supports this - but downvote buttons can be abused. I think once we're better established, mods should look at the cases individually and suggest to the OP of the thread/post that they might want to change what they posted - users have the ability to edit all their posts, or remove them entirely.

For now, i recommend using the 'report' button on a post, and we'll look into the postings :)

Reactions: The House of Moth

XodiumRetro

Tinkerer
Oct 25, 2021
Central Coast, California
xodium.net
Being on reddit quite a lot and coming from that point of view, I honestly never found downvotes that effective. All they did was allow a subset of people who disagreed with you (even if your information was good) to drown you out. As Kai says, I think in cases where the downvote would be applicable, you should just report since I think this forum would be WAY more strict on moderation, anyway, so less chance of that happening, IMO. But it's still the early days so who knows!