Forum preferences saved to account instead of cookies

Oct 18, 2021
Ohio, USA
thehouseofmoth.com
Just wondering if this software allows forum preferences to be saved in the user account rather than cookies saved to the system. Hiding all the threads and categories I'm not interested in every time I log in is a real drag and cookies are purged often or not saved with privacy settings, private browser windows used etc.

Last edited:

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
It's a very reasonable request. I hide a bunch of categories at home, and then when I came to work and logged in, everything was expanded again. Of course, that only applies to Dark Mode too. Folks with the Light theme don't even have the option to collapse categories they don't want to see (for reasons of less clutter).

fogWraith

Antiques Dealer
Sep 2, 2021
I've given it some thought, but I guess also checking whether or not it is feasible should be done.
I will inspect the sources surrounding users and sessions / cookies.

This is something I've implemented at the early stages of development for my own projects, but haven't looked at for something of this magnitude, mainly because of the time required to research how it all ties together and works... at the top of my head it will (if not pre-existing) require source modification and additional tables in the database, essentially what it will do is read the data into your session and apply when logging in or re-visiting with a prior session still live.

Sounds easy enough, yeah? ;P

fogWraith

Antiques Dealer
Sep 2, 2021
president.jpg

In all seriousness though, I've loaded up the source and an empty database with all current changes in a dev. environment to see how it could be resolved best, there's a bit of stuff to go through

Reactions: The House of Moth