Hello, TinkerDifferent!

gfuller

New Tinkerer
Hello, everyone!

My name is Garrett Fuller and I've been interested in vintage computers basically most of my life. While I'm new here, I've been active on r/VintageApple and r/VintageComputing over on Reddit for a few years now along with the 68kMLA forums. I also have my own blog where I post a lot about vintage computers, among other things.

I currently own three vintage Macs, two compact Macs (a 1991 Macintosh Classic, and a 1988 Macintosh SE "SuperSE" with a Mobius '030 upgrade card) and a PowerBook 165. I've fully restored the Macintosh Classic (recently upgraded its storage to a BlueSCSI, more on that later) and have mostly restored the SuperSE. Along with the vintage Macs, I'd like to someday expand further into the hobby with getting an old IBM and/or PC-compatible to play around with. (Unfortunately, old IBMs and even pre-2000s PC compatibles are next to unobtainable here.)

It's been a little while since I've seriously tinkered around with my vintage Macs, though. Limited space, time and even interest has made it difficult to work on them. (Without delving too deep into my personal life, I suffer from depression/anxiety among possibly other things.) The BlueSCSI install on my Classic was my first foray back into actually working on a machine. I have several projects lined up that I hope to complete at some point soon, including a restoration of my PowerBook 165 and repairing my lifeless ImageWriter II.

Vintage computers and computing history are not my only areas of interest. I also have an interest in telecommunications history, and have documented several former AT&T Long Lines microwave relay sites here in Missouri. Outside of tech: I am (was?) an avid fan of the Kansas City Royals baseball team. (I know, we're having an epically-historically-bad season. Also follow the Kansas City Chiefs football, but that's about it for sports.) I've enjoyed cycling (another thing I need to get back into). I play a lot of Minecraft, write, listen to music and, of course, play around with my vintage Macs or emulators.

I hope to get back into the hobby again, and perhaps start marking projects off my to-do list while learning new things (hopefully not breaking too many things) and meeting new people along the way.

Sincerely,
Garrett Fuller
personal.garrettfuller.org
This post drafted on a 1991 Macintosh Classic using Microsoft Word 4.0, because tonight I'm deciding to be a geek again.
IMG_4578.jpg

bakkus

Staff member
Mar 18, 2022
Welcome, Garrett!
I found your blog about a year ago, and I've found it extremely helpful. Thanks!