iBook G3 handle out of alignment

JC's Macs

New Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2023
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, but I was hoping anyone could help me out with this.

I've posted about this issue to many places, (Reddit 68kmla MacRumors etc.) and gotten no real responses.
A little while ago, I had to take apart my iBook's display to replace the airport antenna which had gone bad with a new one, and in doing so I had to remove the carrying handle. However, I can't seem to get it to snap back to the correct position. It's supposed to snap back inwards towards the display, but now it only wants to snap outwards from the display, I'll include a picture to show what I mean. I heard that I have to realign the springs somehow, but I don't really know how to do that, and the apple service manual doesn't help.

If anyone has any experience with this, please let me know, I'd really like my iBook put back together and working again! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4424.jpeg
    IMG_4424.jpeg
    869.3 KB · Views: 52

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
I know you checked the manual but have you seen this?
I'm currently working on indexing and uploading all the Service Source manuals to my website and found this while looking for iBook ones. Apparently, there's a video there on "handle tension" that could be what you're looking for? I can't figure out how to download it, Firefox just wants to play it then fails. Could work fine in Chrome though.
Edit: Figured out I could just right click it and save, then VLC will play it back. No idea if it's actually what you need but I figured I'd post it just in case it was.

JC's Macs

New Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2023
I know you checked the manual but have you seen this?
I'm currently working on indexing and uploading all the Service Source manuals to my website and found this while looking for iBook ones. Apparently, there's a video there on "handle tension" that could be what you're looking for? I can't figure out how to download it, Firefox just wants to play it then fails. Could work fine in Chrome though.
Edit: Figured out I could just right click it and save, then VLC will play it back. No idea if it's actually what you need but I figured I'd post it just in case it was.
I saw that there used to be a link for the tensioning process, but assumed that it had been lost many years ago, but thank you so much for finding it! I think this is exactly what I need to put my iBook back together, it's been months since I've touched it, and honestly I had given up hope, so once again, thank you!

Reactions: 3lectr1c