Intorduction

KHEMISANTOS

New Tinkerer
Oct 12, 2022
Just wanted to introduce myself.

Name: Kyle
First Apple: Apple IIe Platinum
First Mac: LC III
Past Macintosh/Apple: Apple IIgs, Classic II, Mac SE, 4 Mac LC III, LC 575, LC 5200, Quadra 800, Centris 610 (Wish I still had some of these guys)
Current Collection & Working: Apple IIe, Plus (want to recap), PowerBook 180, Mac Color Classic Mystic upgrade (want to recap), Power Mac G3 B&W, iMac Original, iMac Sage, iMac G4 Power Mac G4. G4 Cube, G4 Mini, G4 Quick Silver , Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0, TAM Next Station, Next Cube (with printer not sure if it works haven't powered on in 5 years), PowerBook G3 FireWire, iBook Indgo, PowerBook Duo 2300c, (May have forgotten one or two) Need to update my MacTracker.
In the collection awaiting cleanup : PowerMac 7200, Beige G3 Tower Power Computing PowerBase 180, 2 PowerBook 5300 stopped powering on. MacBook Pro 17in last one
Unpopular Opinion: Really a Fan of OS 9 on G3 and G4 hardware. Long Live FireWire

I've been a Mac guy for as long as I can remember. I attended a after school program that taught television production in PA, we used Macs for all office, photoshop tasks, and did editing on Sony UMatic with VideoToaster on Ameigas. First Macs were from a neighbor who used to work for a school, when they got new stuff he would pass along stuff. Throughout High School used Macs to run a small video filing company, and troubleshoot print shops, espeically during the Mac OS 9 to OS X years. Moonlighted working on Apple Servers, MacOS Server, AppleShare IP for schools and small businesses. After highschool was hired as a Mac Genius was told I was the youngest one hired at the time not sure if that was true, but it was an awesome experience. Worked their during the introduction of the First iPhone and Intel Transition.

Interest outside of Macs, Trains, Chrysler/Mopar, Volunteer Fire Fighter.

Hoping to add/get from the group: Share knowledge, meet some people with the same interest maybe run into some people at events/swap meets. Feel Free to reach out.

Last edited:

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
WELCOME!

um. .. i only have one comment or question. Who's not a fan of OS9 and G3/G4 computers ? I think, at least everybody on this forum, would be predisposed to at least like those two things. (OS9 and G3/G4 machines)

KHEMISANTOS

New Tinkerer
Oct 12, 2022
WELCOME!

um. .. i only have one comment or question. Who's not a fan of OS9 and G3/G4 computers ? I think, at least everybody on this forum, would be predisposed to at least like those two things. (OS9 and G3/G4 machines)
Hi Patrick,

A lot of fellow users tell me they prefer 8.6 most yes I know it doesn’t work on G4 (at least that’s what I remember) I like 9 better because I use a lot of FireWire devices and find FireWire suppport to be more stable on 9 vs 8. I also made use of multi-user in both stand alone and for Mac manager

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
A lot of fellow users tell me they prefer 8.6 most
Today i learned!

i even try to get OS9 to install on G4's that only support OS X. there is a thread someplace here where people talk about the pros/cons of OS9 on Mac Mini. (it seems the built in speaker doesn't work but you can work around it with using the mic port or something)

via help at http://macos9lives.com/

Reactions: KHEMISANTOS

KHEMISANTOS

New Tinkerer
Oct 12, 2022
Today i learned!

i even try to get OS9 to install on G4's that only support OS X. there is a thread someplace here where people talk about the pros/cons of OS9 on Mac Mini. (it seems the built in speaker doesn't work but you can work around it with using the mic port or something)

via help at http://macos9lives.com/
I’ve seen that I think I also saw someone got it running on a G4 xserve. If I ever come across one at the right price I’d be interested in trying.

Reactions: Patrick