Intro johnsn

johnsn

New Tinkerer
Oct 22, 2022
Portland oregon
Hi Everyone, my name is john snook. I was born in 1954. I live in Portland Oregon.

The first computer I ever bought was a Macintosh SE with two floppy drives in 1989 or 90. I really wanted a SE/30, but it like twice as much. I used it for resumes and Hydronic design.

I learned to use PCs because I had to for work.

I used my SE for resumes until the Copy place, I used to print my resumes updated their computers, and my disks wouldn’t read. Some kind soul helped me update my SE to system 6.0.8. After a couple of years I bought a StileWriter II.

My Dad got cancer in the late 90s. He was interested in PCs. I got interested to have something to do with him. I remember trying to load drivers in windows 95. It was hard to tell if the driver had loaded. We had multiple copies of the same driver installed. Only works with one 😊. Good memories. He passed in 99. I continued to play with computers.

I got into Macs by buying a Diimo accelerator from Micromac. That was cool! I started buying Compact Macs in thrift stores, SEs and a couples or SE/30 Woo Hoo! The one day I drove by Free Geek, and the had two pallets of compact Macs. They let me go through them. I got some good parts out of them. Somehow, I connected with Lorene Kenwood of Mac Renewal. She built Macs for Disadvantaged people. I would meet her in the morning once in a while at Free Geek, they would save all the Mac stuff for her. We would go through everything. Lorene would take the things she could use, and we would disassemble the rest for recycle. I got to take what I wanted. Eventually Free Geek figured out they could put UNIX on the newer Macs and the Macs Lorene wanted dried up.

My online presence started in the early 2000s. I used my Tektronix username johnsn, first name first two letters of my last name. I don’t remember the forum I used the most.

More to follow.

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Welcome aboard! My Dad is in his late 70s and he is way into ham radio (KA8DXI his callsign) and ham is what first got him into computers I think ... or it could have been folks at the labs he worked at but anyways, nowadays he runs his radios off his 27" imac. He has a cool set up. I need to get my ham license so I can connect with him over the SB radio waves. To your story's point time is short.

Reactions: retr01