intro oldmacuser

oldmacuser

New Tinkerer
Jun 18, 2023
Hello, everyone! I saw one of @JDW 's videos announcing the launch of Tinkerdiffernt, and now I have joined. I have been using Macs all my life, but I am particularly fond of compact Macs. Currently, I have the SE and SE/30, and I don't see myself needing anything else. I would love to learn about soldering, circuitry, and so on. Perhaps, one day I will be good enough to understand and fix any issues I may have with my Macs. :D

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Welcome to TinkerDifferent, @oldmacuser ! This forum is definitely the place to be to learn about those topics.

For lots of videos about soldering, I highly recommend you check out Bruce Rayne's channel, Branchus Creations.

I would say we are kindred spirits because the vast majority of my vintage Apple collection consists of compact Macs. They are fabulous. Of course, my first home computer was the 128K in 1984, so I am a bit biased toward those particular models. They hold a lot of nostalgia for me.

Reactions: oldmacuser

oldmacuser

New Tinkerer
Jun 18, 2023
Thank you for the warm welcome, @JDW ! I'm excited to be part of TinkerDifferent and learn from fellow enthusiasts like you.

I appreciate the recommendation of Bruce Rayne's channel, Branchus Creations. I'll definitely check it out!.

It's fantastic to connect with people who share a passion for compact Macs. They truly are remarkable machines. The SE and SE/30 hold a special place in my heart! The nostalgia is strong with those models. Thank you!

Yoda

Tinkerer
Jan 22, 2023
My first Mac was a 512, then a Plus, back in the day when desktop publishing was just beginning, and being caught up in that, designing and developing layouts for publishing - including some used in magazines of the day - has left me with a deep affection for compact Macs.

I even used my own personal SE for a few years typesetting fake newspapers that were used in 'murder mystery' weekends at UK hotels, and that was incredible fun.

My only two compacts are a Classic and Classic II, which are not the greatest examples of these early Macs, but at least reasonably affordable. The Classic II has become somewhat of a duplicate of that old SE, complete with all the software I had at the time. I replaced the hard drive with a BlueSCSI device which makes it near silent in use, and improves overall performance a bit too.

Welcome, from one 'new tinkerer' to another!

oldmacuser

New Tinkerer
Jun 18, 2023
Thanks @Yoda ! It's always great to hear about other tinkers experience and your desktop publishing sounds very fascinating!

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
Welcome! You are among fellow enthusiasts. I have a YT channel called 1Bit Fever Dreams where I walk on the line between hardware and software. Right now, the swing of the pendulum is on the software side as I try to push out a series on THINK C for b&W macs. I like them both, sometimes by necessity, always for discovery with 2 parts nostalgia. I quickly learned what I needed to know for both through hole and SMD soldering from channels like Branchus Creations and Mac84tv but also some random silent soldering tutorials with text explanations.

My main one is the Plus but I like the convenience of the SE/30, love the backup roles my SE and Classic 1 play (in case the others all failed).

oldmacuser

New Tinkerer
Jun 18, 2023
Thank you @Mu0n ! Your YouTube channel, 1Bit Fever Dreams, sounds intriguing and THINK C for b&W Macs sounds fascinating. I am definitely going to check out your channel. Thanks for the suggestion of other channels! I have watched their videos on this site. They are great!

I'll try to learn enough before I have to fix my Macs, but hopefully not too soon!