Leopard Sorbet on iBook G4?

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Swapped out the HD with an SSD and I'm shopping around for a feasible OS. Will Leopard Sorbet be a good alternative? I have no experience with Sorbet as an alternative to vanilla Tiger or Leopard.

Upgraded to 1.25 GB RAM
Works fine on my ibookg4 w/ og spinner. It should be quite snappy on a SSD.
6A5E2480-F106-4E14-BB62-B77CAD3E5D76.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: KingDingus

dronecatcher

New Tinkerer
Oct 28, 2021
The question is Tiger or Leopard (Sorbet is Leopard with pre-installed tweaks) - and that will depend on your application requirements.

Also Leopard ideally wants a Core Image compliant GPU - if your iBook doesn't have one it will borrow resources from the CPU.

dronecatcher

New Tinkerer
Oct 28, 2021
The machine is not detecting the boot usb and I’ve read it might be due to bad PRAM. Any truth to this?
You need to point to the USB stick in Open Firmware:

fehervaria

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
North Germany
Sorbet Leopard will work quiet good on G4 iBooks. Booting up from the USB is tricky. I'd connect the iBook to another Mac with Target Disk mode, and use the Disk Utility to Restore the Sorbet Leopard to it. Then power down, dosconnect from the host Mac and reboot the iBook. This method worked for me two times already: eMac and the iBook G4 1.42GHz with 1GB RAM and 128GB SSD. ;-)

Reactions: KingDingus

KingDingus

Tinkerer
Jan 16, 2022
Florida
www.hacksmtg.com
Sorbet Leopard will work quiet good on G4 iBooks. Booting up from the USB is tricky. I'd connect the iBook to another Mac with Target Disk mode, and use the Disk Utility to Restore the Sorbet Leopard to it. Then power down, dosconnect from the host Mac and reboot the iBook. This method worked for me two times already: eMac and the iBook G4 1.42GHz with 1GB RAM and 128GB SSD. ;-)
Thank you, I'll be giving this a try!

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
TDM works really well - great option. I still mourn the loss of TDM in modern iterations of MacOS. Anyhow, I typically split the drives on my portables so had a 2nd partition (b) to restore Sorbet to within DU from leopard 10.5.8 on partition (a) on my ibookg4. Took iirc around 30 er 40 minutes but completed without issue.

I've been enjoying Sorby so much I still have not put away my ibookg4 that I was using to demo 10.5.9 during the 2022 PPC challenge.

KingDingus

Tinkerer
Jan 16, 2022
Florida
www.hacksmtg.com
TDM works really well - great option. I still mourn the loss of TDM in modern iterations of MacOS. Anyhow, I typically split the drives on my portables so had a 2nd partition (b) to restore Sorbet to within DU from leopard 10.5.8 on partition (a) on my ibookg4. Took iirc around 30 er 40 minutes but completed without issue.

I've been enjoying Sorby so much I still have not put away my ibookg4 that I was using to demo 10.5.9 during the 2022 PPC challenge.
Thank you! Ordered a FireWire 400 cable from Amazon and installed Tiger utilizing TDM.