MIDI in DOOM - Roland SC88-ST vs Kawai XC-3 vs Sound Blaster Pro

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5a_0grWpr8
I just got a Kawai XC-3 GMega LX (a midi module I knew absolutely nothing about) so I took it for a spin and compared it to my Roland Sound Canvas-88ST and a SB pro clone chip from Cirrus Logic, the crystal CS4237B-KQ (running inside my weecee).

3 tunes from DOOM were used while I switch back and forth between the different playbacks.

Let me know which instruments you like best from each!

(I broke into a new channel called DOS Fever Dreams to avoid mixing it in 1Bit Fever Dreams!)

Reactions: eric

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Ahh man that was hard. I can definitely tell you that I enjoyed the the SB clone because of its almost square-wave-esque mid-punch quality. It just sounded really neat in comparison to the others. Of the other two ... I think the Roland as the audio out was very flat in response. There doesnt seem to be much EQ where as the Kawai deifnitely sounds darker and the drums are EQ'd way out front. Dont get me wrong, this doesn't sound bad but I like a flat response for my own EQ preferences. For the consumer looking to get something EQd out of the box, the Kawai is probably a superior sounding unit where as a musician I can see prefering the Roland.

Whew, man I am really into the tonality of the clone. That unit just oozes 90's video game nostalgia (maybe it's the mid heavy response) and sounds really neat to my ears :) .