os doesnt boot up

g4_2000

New Tinkerer
Aug 4, 2022
ok so i have this 2000 g4 powermac and i have a hard drive that has mac os 10.4.11 but its stuck in the apple screen i have recently reset the nvram but it still doesnt works it's a Sawtooth (AGP) machine and i think its not corrupted bc all the files are in there and i could enter the files

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
Resetting NVRAM is always a good first step. When you say you could "enter the files" what do you mean?

If there is nothing to backup, I'd try a fresh install. You could also boot from the installer and check the disk from disk utility to see if there's any issues.

robin-fo

Tinkerer
Feb 17, 2022
Switzerland
Try booting into verbose mode by pressing and holding „cmd v“ during the boot chime. What‘s the last message you see?

Reactions: eric

g4_2000

New Tinkerer
Aug 4, 2022
Resetting NVRAM is always a good first step. When you say you could "enter the files" what do you mean?

If there is nothing to backup, I'd try a fresh install. You could also boot from the installer and check the disk from disk utility to see if there's any issues.
i mean that the files were there and i could enter to folders

g4_2000

New Tinkerer
Aug 4, 2022
Try booting into verbose mode by pressing and holding „cmd v“ during the boot chime. What‘s the last message you see?
20230121_125329.jpg

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
First thing that I noticed was the invalid node error - when I see node kind/structure type errors, that often points to the hard drive where there is an issue with its ability to catalog & retrieve files. You could try repairing the install in disk utility or maybe disk warrior if you have it but you might be looking at a new hard drive. I actually have a iBook g4 with this almost exact issue lol. The old rusty hdd is most likely borked. I plan to replace the hdd with an SSD.