Portrait Display Connector Pinout

Elemenoh

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Bay Area
I came across a manual for the Macintosh Portrait Display, and it conveniently included a pinout of its quite hard to find video cable. Here it is in case you need to build your own.

Attachments

• Portait Display Pinout.png
    Portait Display Pinout.png
    260.4 KB · Views: 91

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I was about to start a new thread asking what this weird video cable I just found in this box of cables was :LOL:

That weird video cable from outer space, kidnapped by Apple from Area 51, is the Apple Mac Video Cable DB-15 13W3 590-0615-A. It connects a 68k Mac to the 21" Two Page Portrait Monochrome Display. :)

Note that this requires System 7 and up.

Last edited:

alex_santos

New Tinkerer
Sep 25, 2021
Wow!
Warm up time: 20 minutes to meet all specifications!!! Twenty. Minutes. Not seconds... minutes!
most CRTs would take even up to an hour to reach their correct bias. For example, you wouldn't be calibrating a CRT color monitor until it was on for at least an hour. Of course those old monochromes wouldn't need calibration but the real point is that CRTs do take time to ramp up for full readiness. Granted from a use perspective you could begin work as soon as the picture would display which would be only a few seconds.