PowerBook 1400 Series CD-ROM Module Repair

Garrett

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
MN, USA
I have a CD-ROM expansion module with a strange issue. It will only read discs if I hold the mechanism in place and press into the laptop. If I release, the disc spins down and unmount from the OS. Ejecting also only works if I release my hold on the door right as I hear the click of the latch releasing. Has anyone ever seen this before? Normally I hear stories about the drive doors falling off but this one is very secure, and the drive appears as it should from what I can tell. Here are some photos:

IMG_7273.JPG
IMG_7274.JPG
IMG_7275.JPG

Garrett

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
MN, USA
I did some disassembly this evening and found the culprit. The latch responsible for closure and eject was cracked in half. I am going to try superglue as a first stab at it, but if that doesn't work I'll model something to 3D print. After the glue dries overnight, I'll post some results!

IMG_7288.jpg
IMG_7289.jpg

This Does Not Compute

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
www.youtube.com
Normally I hear stories about the drive doors falling off
I've got two PB1400 CD-ROM drives this has happened to, and on my to-do list is designing some 3D-printable replacement brackets that can be glued to the original bezel. It's crazy (though not surprising, given the era) that Apple used such small/flimsy brackets, though I suppose the drive mechanism manufacturer is party to blame too.

Garrett

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
MN, USA
I'm wondering if Teac (who manufactured the drive) also designed that bezel, or if that was an Apple part which was mated to the 3rd party CD drive. I think a 3D printed reinforcement bracket seems like a very good option!

So far the superglue has worked to hold the eject latch together, but I'll be sure to update this thread if the repair doesn't last. At that point I'll have to either break out the JB Weld or the 3D printer.

1.jpg

This Does Not Compute

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
www.youtube.com
I'm wondering if Teac (who manufactured the drive) also designed that bezel, or if that was an Apple part which was mated to the 3rd party CD drive. I think a 3D printed reinforcement bracket seems like a very good option!
It would have been either Apple or Quanta who designed the bezel. The 1400 was an interesting machine in that the chassis was actually a "whitebox" design from Quanta. In order to get the machine to market faster (and bypass internal dysfunction), Apple basically gave the motherboard schematics for the 5300 to Quanta, picked that chassis from their catalog (because it supported an optical drive), and told them to build a PowerBook out of it. Apple's own internal design team apparently had *some* input into the final product, but I'm not clear on exactly how much -- either could have done the drive bezel. So if you've ever wondered why the 1400 always looked a little different from the rest of the PowerBook line from that era, it's because it could have easily been a Windows laptop instead!

Keith

New Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
New Jersey
I've got two PB1400 CD-ROM drives this has happened to, and on my to-do list is designing some 3D-printable replacement brackets that can be glued to the original bezel. It's crazy (though not surprising, given the era) that Apple used such small/flimsy brackets, though I suppose the drive mechanism manufacturer is party to blame too.

I would absolutely love this. My 1400c's CD-ROM front bezel broke off years ago and is currently held in place by scotch tape... Definitely not ideal.

This Does Not Compute

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
www.youtube.com
Got the brackets modeled and printed. They fit in the drive itself, but I haven't glued them to the bezel yet. I'm planning on making a short video about these and another PowerBook-related 3D printing project, but here's a teaser.

Attachments

• pb1400-brackets.jpg
    pb1400-brackets.jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: Tom2112