PowerBook 1400cs

bogdan

New Tinkerer
Nov 9, 2021
Hello!

Finally, after getting this 1400cs back in August it is now back to life.

The HDD was dead, got an CF adapter but for the life of me I couldn’t burn an OS disk that could be read by my machine - ended up buying original disk from eBay.

In the meantime I also got another 1400cs for spare parts really cheap which has the 166mhz daughterboard CPU. I tried to swap it into my machine (replacing the 117mhz CPU) but it doesn’t start. The 166mhz works just fine in the original machine. Are these CPU’s not swappable? I will have to swap the logic board as well?

Also, can anyone point me in the right direction for finding the right battery cells? I could only find half sizes, but I’d like to get exact replacement if possible.

Oh, also, I took the HDD from the spare machine and installed into mine - I cannot tell how much I enjoy the rumble of an old HDD… 😆🙄

image.jpg

19D67C48-C217-4135-A6F1-826000C8CBB4.jpeg

Garrett

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
MN, USA
Nice looking 1400! There are actually two different logic board revisions, and you'll have to look at your ROM chips to see which one you have. I ran into a similar situation where the only option was to swap the entire board. From what I remember it was a pain to remove from the chassis, but maybe you'll have better luck. Here's a snip from the service manual:
Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 11.18.13 PM.png

From what I recall these are the batteries you'll need: