Terminal / Modem program for Mac OS 8

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
Hi all,

I’ve got the Duo 2300c that I just got working and need to test the modem. ZTerm crashes and I’m afraid to bother with Claris Works cause it’s for System 7 and installs a bunch of crap.

Anyone know of a good term program that will work on OS 8 wether it’s native PPC or not?

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
You could try to find Red Ryder/White Knight. Pretty sure that was a "for money" piece of software, but it was a pretty darn good terminal.

Surprised ZTerm doesn't work. I suspect init conflicts or something similar...

Byte Knight

Tinkerer
Oct 21, 2021
There are at least two versions of ZTerm that should work with OS8 - v1.01 and v1.1. Make sure you try both of them.

Black Night supports serial and Telnet connections.

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
i found ZTerm1.1b7 and that one worked but it could not connect to the internal modem pn the duo. The trick was to install the Express Modem control panel and extension. Had the same issue with the Powerbook 180's internal modem.

* Oh I didnt know I could also use Black Night. Can I also dial into CQII ? Always been telnetting in.

Byte Knight

Tinkerer
Oct 21, 2021
i found ZTerm1.1b7 and that one worked but it could not connect to the internal modem pn the duo. The trick was to install the Express Modem control panel and extension. Had the same issue with the Powerbook 180's internal modem.

* Oh I didnt know I could also use Black Night. Can I also dial into CQII ? Always been telnetting in.

Not directly, but you can connect through 2600.network. Username / password is captainsquartersii on there.

My #MARCHintosh project BBS, The Crow's Nest, has a dial-up modem node at (612) 886-6348 for the month of March.