Spicy Pillows

cjsebes

Tinkerer
Oct 22, 2021
My broken-display 2013 13-inch MacBook Pro that I use as a media streamer had its fans screaming. While investigating what the problem was, I noticed that the keys were getting squished against the display as I closed the lid. Well, there's yer problem!

IMG_2052-1.JPG
IMG_2053-1.JPG

BPearce

New Tinkerer
May 9, 2022
I’m thinking if you had been using this as a streaming device, you probably have it connected to power constantly? This is a conversation I frequently have with customers at the shop…battery health degrades (with time and with use) to the point where it starts to become noticeable, and as a consequence, people tend to leave the computer connected to power, which accelerates the decline and causes this problem.

OWC has reasonably priced replacement batteries for these MacBook Pro models, and very detailed guides on installation…but the process is somewhat complicated, and not for the faint of heart.

cjsebes

Tinkerer
Oct 22, 2021
Considering that this is a 10-year-old laptop and has now been relegated to always being plugged in, it doesn't surprise me that the battery poofed up like this. I was going to just retire the computer, but Greg Hrutkay suggested throwing Open Core on here to disable the throttling due to no battery now being in it. I like that route, so it will live on.

I've used this computer at small business expos to show my virtual tours that I build, so it will get a third life. And I've been keeping an eye on ebay for a replacement display. But for what I use it for, it's really not necessary.

I have plenty of other laptops around that are fully functional. That includes 2011 11-inch and 2012 13-inch MacBook Airs that I just replaced batteries in along with 2010 and 2011 13-inch MacBook Pros. My 17-inch 2011 MacBook Pro is relegated to use only when I'm doing production work on the road.