Recent content by JohnCT

  1. J

    Hacking the Kodak Reels 8mm Film Digitizer (New Thread)

    Yes, when I flash with the latest version you posted in #775, I get the OSD and I also now get "FW271" in the upper right side of the screen just like the pic you posted in the same message which says the latest firmware took. Unfortunately, I also still have the dark scans with the new...
  2. J

    Hacking the Kodak Reels 8mm Film Digitizer (New Thread)

    As far as I know, the camera itself is fine, but the optics are the biggest bottlneck. There are people who replace the lens to gain improvement on the scans. There are youtube videos on people who have replaced the camera, but to be honest, I don't see a huge improvement, and I don't think...
  3. J

    Hacking the Kodak Reels 8mm Film Digitizer (New Thread)

    Same - my reflash also says "Type D- WIP" but it's otherwise identical to the original firmware. I just tried the file in #731 and it flashed and now I have the OSD. But I took a second scan and it's a lot darker than my first try on the same film. I put the exposure up as far as it would...
  4. J

    Hacking the Kodak Reels 8mm Film Digitizer (New Thread)

    I have tried the factory reset in the menu on both the new D and the original D .bins. It says reset successful, but still no change. Two questions: 1) Getting back to the firmware - is it possible this unit may be something newer than a D? The build date of the camera board on this machine...
  5. J

    Hacking the Kodak Reels 8mm Film Digitizer (New Thread)

    I tried on both 8mm and Super, and the adjustments have no effect. The arrows on screen blink, but no changes occur. It's like it's sitting and locked at full zoom out. Here is what I'm getting. I highlighted in green the LCD screen and the scan frame I'm getting. Assuming that there is no...
  6. J

    Hacking the Kodak Reels 8mm Film Digitizer (New Thread)

    After I posted it, I tried to move the frame and zoom with the software controls. The arrows blink in response to when I hit the buttons, but nothing actually changes. I tried reflashing the firmware to stock D but nothing changes, so I have a hardware issue I'm afraid. Thanks. John
  7. J

    Hacking the Kodak Reels 8mm Film Digitizer (New Thread)

    Thank you so much. Unfortunately, there's something else going on. I followed your instructions and flashed the stock firmware, but it's got the same problem. Every other adjustment works except the frame positioning and zoom. Again, the arrows blink as I push the buttons to affect the...
  8. J

    Hacking the Kodak Reels 8mm Film Digitizer (New Thread)

    I have a situation where my H2825 (a firmware D I have been told) won't adjust the zoom or frame. The adjustment arrows blink when I click them as if they're being accessed by the menu software but the scan itself doesn't adjust at all. I acquired this machine on ebay in a not-working...
  9. J

    Hacking the Kodak Reels 8mm Film Digitizer (New Thread)

    I tried a second film, and it's the same way. Question - is there supposed to be a lens in the window of flip up door over the scanner? John
  10. J

    Hacking the Kodak Reels 8mm Film Digitizer (New Thread)

    Success!! Short version of story > bought Kodak Reels cheap because it needed "SD card reader". I found that the original SD card socket was missing and a mini SD card adapter was wired soldered by jumper wire and not working. I installed new SD card and it went dead (found brand new socket...
  11. J

    Hacking the Kodak Reels 8mm Film Digitizer (New Thread)

    You can go much lower than 10K ohms. 3.3v at 10K is a current draw of just 0.33ma (for the 3.3v source) from the buck converters that supply the 3.3 and 12V which is basically nothing. I would start with a 1K bleeder resistor and even go down from there if there seems to be an improvement in...
  12. J

    Hacking the Kodak Reels 8mm Film Digitizer (New Thread)

    Back in the early 2000s, a lot of flat TV main boards used a SOT23 - 3 pin reset IC that would activate whenever the main board received power on start. Sometimes the board had a "rst" tie point on the board near the reset IC. But that was years ago, and with integration of ICs being so...
  13. J

    Hacking the Kodak Reels 8mm Film Digitizer (New Thread)

    I haven't been following your problem, but did you at any point try a different firmware or reinstalling the original? John
  14. J

    Hacking the Kodak Reels 8mm Film Digitizer (New Thread)

    Good news everyone - I removed the new SD socket I installed in place of the missing one (I bought the Kodak Reels cheap on the bay for parts) and the shorts on the board disappeared, and the Kodak sprang back to life. Display is back and it's calling for an SD card. So the brand new socket...
  15. J

    Hacking the Kodak Reels 8mm Film Digitizer (New Thread)

    Well, I think I reached the end of the road.. :( I removed the hacked-in micro reader thingy and installed a new SD socket onto the main board, then installed a new SD card. The unit powered up, and this time it went to the scan screen when I pushed the OK button and it didn't ask for the card...