Recent content by PentaxEnthusiast

  1. PentaxEnthusiast

    What did you do to your computer today?

    My son has been using the G3 (from which I'm posting right now) to mess around with Kid Pix; it's so awesome to see him doodling with something I remember doodling on as a kid in the mid-90s, granted I was doing it on a DOS machine back then.
  2. PentaxEnthusiast

    G5tember 2026

    I like the idea of a G5 to run some of my Macintosh versions of games. I think until I'm able to score a Voodoo card for my K6-2+ build, this would be an interesting stopgap. I'll have to see what I can find locally as now I'm interested.
  3. PentaxEnthusiast

    What did you do to your computer today?

    My 2011/2012 hybrid MBP is my main machine at work while HR and IT still drag their feet on getting me credentialed to use my actual desktop at work. I'm beginning to think there's some trepidation on IT's part as I was once IT for a specific office within the county that superseded their...
  4. PentaxEnthusiast

    TRS-80 Model III Monitor Help

    About two years ago, I grabbed a second TRS-80 Model III, but this one has 48K and both of the 5.25" drives, so a lot more feature rich than my 16K variant. I gave everything a good clean and had no reason to suspect anything else to be wrong; upon my first attempt to boot the machine up, the...
  5. PentaxEnthusiast

    What did you do to your computer today?

    I'm looking for some fun math games to put on the G3 for my son to play that hopefully captures his interest better than GCompris. What's kinda sad is that GCompris is such an awesome package for Linux when it comes to educational stuff, but he just doesn't seem to like it. Still, kudos to the...
  6. PentaxEnthusiast

    Portable CCFL Backlight Replacement with Off-the-shelf LED Strip Driver

    This is awesome! Thanks for the level of detail; I'll have a good guide should I find myself in a similar position. Right now I'm trying to fix the CRT on one of my Tandy TRS-80s. I got magic smoke for mouse pee all over the internals.
  7. PentaxEnthusiast

    What did you do to your computer today?

    It's nothing too special, but it's in an awesome Lian Li case from back in the day that I've always wanted, so there's that. It's on a table that's entirely too small, I'm missing a proper CRT, and the Quadro 1800 that's in there is obviously awful for gaming. My Model M is nice, though the...
  8. PentaxEnthusiast

    What did you do to your computer today?

    The tower sits in a little base around it that's supposed to reduce the chance of tipping, saw them every now and then when these were still current tech. I've got a Pentium 4 HT 630, so a later Prescott chip with hyperthreading on an Asus P5GDC-V motherboard. As far as mods go for the Dell...
  9. PentaxEnthusiast

    What did you do to your computer today?

    Oh, you've got the fancy base for it! I just passed on a Dimension 3200, kinda wish I'd have kept it, but I already have a better Pentium 4 build, just needs a good GPU.
  10. PentaxEnthusiast

    What did you do to your computer today?

    I've been doing a few things here and there with the G3 iMac, but I think I've hit my limit on what I can do with it, mainly stemming from the lack of a better graphics accelerator or discreet video card, but it's my only CRT!
  11. PentaxEnthusiast

    Hardware/software you have that no one talks about.

    Not that anyone is looking for it, but I have a bag full of the AOL discs from the late 90s to mid 2000s. I also found the user manuals from a Palm Pilot from 2000 and I have no idea where the Palm Pilot itself got off to... Might have been one of those things we never got back from storage...
  12. PentaxEnthusiast

    What did you do to your computer today?

    I took my old i7-2600K with a 4.5 GHz overclock and a 980 Ti, put Arch on it, and proceeded to make it my son's first PC of his own. He's only 4, but he's getting thrown straight into it! The Plasma desktop is intuitive enough for him to figure out how to start up Minecraft, and how to lock he...
  13. PentaxEnthusiast

    Sony Trinitron - one of the GREATEST TV and monitor technologies in history 📺

    This was our behemoth that we'd had since the '90s. Sold it at a yard sale in 2010 and have regretted it ever since. It was the perfect TV, but I was 19 and my parents wanted to upgrade and I didn't have the room for it.
  14. PentaxEnthusiast

    TinkerDifferent.com Retro Proxy

    Still working on the G3 with 10.4.11; did have to sign back in, however.
  15. PentaxEnthusiast

    VCF Pacific Northwest 2026

    I'd love to make it out there next year! I won't have anything to bring, most likely, but it'll be a good time stop in to see family over in Olympia.