Recent content by speakers

  1. speakers

    Bondi Blue iMac Restoration

    Just be careful .. 30 year old ABS is dicey! Apart from what I reported, I'd suggest not refitting the bezel until after the whole motherboard module the drive has been re-installed. I found that slotting the cpu module into the machine with the correct alignment risked breaking the bezel off...
  2. speakers

    Bondi Blue iMac Restoration

    Yeah, sorry - my numerical dyslexia! I do.
  3. speakers

    Bondi Blue iMac Restoration

    Built on 04/23/99 at 14:31:03. It was iMac Firmware Update v1.2. Maybe, but in my B&W G3, I have the StarTech running an OWC SATA SSD fine. In fact it's the boot drive. I'll be curious to find out about it. I've had excellent luck with ZuluSCSIs on other machines.
  4. speakers

    Bondi Blue iMac Restoration

    Bondi Blue iMac Restoration With Apple’s 50th-ish birthday passing and folk considering what machines are most notable/best/significant, I realized that didn’t have an iMac G3. Though I do have 4 other G3’s: Desktop, Minitower, B&W and Pismo. My wife had a Firewire iMac DV back in the day but it...
  5. speakers

    Macintosh LC III Bodge-Laden PCB

    It does require some soldering but it's very simple. See https://lowendmac.com/2014/overclocking-the-mac-lc-series/ A heatsink isn't really required. I did the mod and the cpu doesn't run hot .. but your mileage may vary.
  6. speakers

    Macintosh LC III Bodge-Laden PCB

    I got caught by this a few years back. It's a decoupling capacitor on the -5V rail. The original aluminum cap didn't care but if you replace it with a tantalum that'll draw a large current under the reverse polarity. The LCIII PSU won't complain, but the -5V line will droop to perhaps less than...
  7. speakers

    Asante Technologies 09-00061-00 Ethernet NuBus card Rev A

    See https://tinkerdifferent.com/threads/fixing-10base-t-on-more-ethernet-cards.2188/
  8. speakers

    Beige PowerPC G3 - IDE HardDrive Replacment?

    Re: 8GB boot restriction... Hhmm ..4? Beige G3s have OFW versions 2.0f1 or 2.4 and are not updatable (unlike the B&W G3). The 8GB boot restriction applies to both. Yes. See https://lowendmac.com/1997/beige-power-mac-g3-1997/ and https://lowendmac.com/1998/beige-power-mac-g3-1998/ .. and I can...
  9. speakers

    Beige PowerPC G3 - IDE HardDrive Replacment?

    Be aware that the Beige G3 can boot only from partitions in the first 8GB of the IDE drive due firmware limitations. I've had good luck with 64GB 40-pin IDE flash modules in my G3s.
  10. speakers

    Mac IIci cache card

    MacTest Pro will tell you whether the cache card is present and working. Also see the IIci Developer Notes for the memory addresses of the cache data and tag RAM that may be pokeable from MacsBug (I haven't tried).
  11. speakers

    Macintosh II SI capacitor question

    Seconded. Leakage eats resistors. For more details:
  12. speakers

    Macintosh II SI capacitor question

    Weak or totally absent decoupling caps like C20/C22, may not stop the machine running. In fact, a logic board could work with no decoupling caps at all, albeit unreliably! If those tiny ceramics have been elsewhere, in particular C10/C11, then that would explain no audio.
  13. speakers

    Looking for the document "Macintosh Worldwide Development: Guide to System Software"

    I see lots of hits for "LongDateTime" on archive.org. Have you trawled there?
  14. speakers

    New tool to remove capacitor and rust corrosion - the dental scaler!

    Interesting. I occasionally use a Braun toothbrush to scrub boards. And I've heard that using toothpaste can add abrasion. I'm also a strong advocate of dental probe tools to assist awkward desoldering. Perhaps I could finally like dentistry.