2006 iMac Core2Duo running Elementary OS

Alf Torp

Tinkerer
I got my hands on this computer about 6 months ago, and I've been wondering what to do with it. I've got a basement workshop that I use for some woodworking as well as a place to make wiring looms for a guy who builds drop-in, plug-and-play replacement injection systems for vintage Jaguar V12 engines, and I figured I could perhaps use this computer as an entertainment box there. However, having 3GB of RAM when maxed out and topping out with Mac OS X 10.7 means all sorts of certificate problems as well as no Youtube worth mentioning. Playing music was no problem, but youtube videos was a no-go.

I installed a 1TB Seagate Barracuda disk in it (because that's what I had) and started creating USB boot media for installing Linux. Note to self: Remember to check for boot issues before trying this on a computer with 32-bit EFI next time... because that took me a while to figure out. The iMac flat out refused to even acknowledge the existence of any of my usb sticks. So I bit the bullet and googled. For...some time. Turns out these computers like their boot devices to be DVD's. Specifically DVD's that have been doctored to accommodate the 32-bit EFI boot. Thanks Ob...Apple.

Then I found Matt Gadient, who has done exactly that: Doctored 32-bit ISO's can be found here for a bunch of Linux versions

I downloaded and burned a DVD for Elementary OS, and Lo! and Behold! the iMac booted. My happiness was somewhat short lived though, as I got stuck for a while on how to partition the disk for the EFI and all that malarkey. I sincerely wish I had written it down, because I can't remember what I did now... I think I ended up with 4 partitions and then I could install. Happy days!

IMG_4011.jpg

IMG_4010.jpg

Been testing it for a day now and it seems to be doing what I want it to. I've installed TightVNC, Chrome, Samba, Adguard and some other goodies. Nice and smooth, responsive and... it even looks nice! I might try to install this on one of my 2010 Mac Minis, and try it as a daily driver... i have some experience with Raspberry Pis and that flavor of Linux, and Elementary seems familiar enough to me to give that a try.

If anyone wonders "Why Elementary?", the answer is simple: @The House of Moth didn't seem to like it all that much. :D

Reactions: dronecatcher

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
I got my hands on this computer about 6 months ago, and I've been wondering what to do with it. I've got a basement workshop that I use for some woodworking as well as a place to make wiring looms for a guy who builds drop-in, plug-and-play replacement injection systems for vintage Jaguar V12 engines, and I figured I could perhaps use this computer as an entertainment box there. However, having 3GB of RAM when maxed out and topping out with Mac OS X 10.7 means all sorts of certificate problems as well as no Youtube worth mentioning. Playing music was no problem, but youtube videos was a no-go.

I installed a 1TB Seagate Barracuda disk in it (because that's what I had) and started creating USB boot media for installing Linux. Note to self: Remember to check for boot issues before trying this on a computer with 32-bit EFI next time... because that took me a while to figure out. The iMac flat out refused to even acknowledge the existence of any of my usb sticks. So I bit the bullet and googled. For...some time. Turns out these computers like their boot devices to be DVD's. Specifically DVD's that have been doctored to accommodate the 32-bit EFI boot. Thanks Ob...Apple.

Then I found Matt Gadient, who has done exactly that: Doctored 32-bit ISO's can be found here for a bunch of Linux versions

I downloaded and burned a DVD for Elementary OS, and Lo! and Behold! the iMac booted. My happiness was somewhat short lived though, as I got stuck for a while on how to partition the disk for the EFI and all that malarkey. I sincerely wish I had written it down, because I can't remember what I did now... I think I ended up with 4 partitions and then I could install. Happy days!

View attachment 10651

View attachment 10652
Been testing it for a day now and it seems to be doing what I want it to. I've installed TightVNC, Chrome, Samba, Adguard and some other goodies. Nice and smooth, responsive and... it even looks nice! I might try to install this on one of my 2010 Mac Minis, and try it as a daily driver... i have some experience with Raspberry Pis and that flavor of Linux, and Elementary seems familiar enough to me to give that a try.

If anyone wonders "Why Elementary?", the answer is simple: @The House of Moth didn't seem to like it all that much. :D
Very nice. I think I will do the same thing on my sons 17" intel imac. I was unable to get Matt's isos to boot on my cmp 1,1 but if I can do it on the imac, pperhaps that will help me with that ultimate goal of getting elementary on my 1,1.

IIRC my sons imac is running Lion which I have Arctic Fox browser on there that can browse youtube without issue.

dronecatcher

New Tinkerer
Oct 28, 2021
There are some legacy solutions, fair enough. I don't particularly like them though :) The biggest issue the way I see it is that 3GB of RAM is more limiting in Mac OS X than it seems to be with some Linux versions.
My take and experience is that the difference is offset by OSX and apps being specifically designed for the hardware - whereas Linux isn't (although that's far more the case with PowerPC Linux.)

I have a Macbook close to the specs of your iMac that I used to have Elementary on - it now dual boots Windows 8 and Mountain Lion (installed via the hacked install method which is easy) - on OSX Youtube plays as normal in Safari.

Last edited:

Alf Torp

Tinkerer
My take and experience is that the difference is offset by OSX and apps being specifically designed for the hardware - whereas Linux isn't (although that's far more the case with PowerPC Linux.)

I have a Macbook close to the specs of your iMac that I've used have. Elementary on - it now dual boots Windows 8 and Mountain Lion (installed via the hacked install method which is easy) - on OSX Youtube plays as normal in Safari.
Interesting. Might be something wrong with mine then, because on YT, not even the thumbnails load.