68K programming

Eric's Edge

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Are there any 68K software developers on here?

I’ve recently revisited HyperCard development and I’m looking into getting back into C development. Recently tossed together a game for the Royal Game of Ur in HyperCard. Will share the code with anyone who is interested. Fair warning, it’s a hot mess ;-)

I’ve had trouble getting Think C 5 to work properly on 7.6.1 - reloading projects results in an out of memory error. Even on a maxed out Performa 550. Not a fan of CodeWarrior, but it works. Maybe I need to try it on 6.x on my SE FDHD.

I’d like to add multiple user over network and possibly the internet.

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
My favorite environment is:

Symantec THINK C++ v6 running on System 7.5.3 (through Basilisk II v1.1 running on Windows, but that's besides the point) accompanied with THINK Reference to easily look up library functions, data definitions, globals, etc.

Acceptable alt choices:

Symantec THINK C++ v5 is very similar and I'm not sure what's lost if I went to it
CodeWarrrior was often mentioned in the plethora of coding examples I've seen but I decided against it because it was more geared towards System 7+ and didn't give me direct access to System 1-6 that I really wanted.

Avoid:
Macintosh Programming Workshop - everyone seems to develop a hate for it, especially the convoluted resource fork wizardry that must be enchanted to tie your apps together, it's truly obsolete and meant for a bygone era.
Lightning C - I'm sure it was fine in its day but THINK C is just better
Megamax C - same

Check my signature for my old website that I've been meaning to update

Reactions: Eric's Edge

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
I've been doing a bit of HyperCard programming this week too - and it's quite a bit of fun! I'd love to see some more examples. I'm not a C programmer - usually use higher level languages - that along with no modern niceties I've grown accustom too (intellisense, syntax highlighting, etc) I found C to be quite difficult to jump into on 68k.

@jcs has a few video series where he programs and @Mr. Fahrenheit has been a great help with me learning some HyperTalk :)

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
After the last 4 intense years of using Intellij for Java and enjoying intellisense, go-to-method-definition-shortcut, navigate-back-shortcuts, etc., yes it's hard going back to my olden 68k C project. Just deciding how I want my source files to receive information that's supposed to be tied to the main file through globals, pointers, handles took me a full week to re-gear my brain to it. I'm usually not touching classes in THINK C (the so-called "pseudo" half-classes of C++) because I don't want to be caught in a corner where I can't search for help on the net because no significant amount of people used it :p

fehervaria

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
North Germany
All right C programmers: I use Turbo Pascal 1.1 to develop things. THINK Pascal 4.5d4 as well.
I can program in C and C++, but few month ago I've thought "if I use a vintage computer, and I learned programming over Borland Turbo Pascal / Turbo Basic, then I will try my luck on Mac as well With System 6.0.8."
Bought lot of books, downloaded lot of books and then dive into the old Pascal programming. And WOW, like driving a vintage car. You can imagine: switch on the power button, slowly the Miniscribe 8425SA spins up, BONG, Happy-Mac, Welcome to Macintosh. Finder. Then open the hardisk, open the Turbo Pascal folder, go to my "Sources ƒ" and then double click to my program's main file. Modify, compile to Memory - compile to Disk. Exit. Go to my "Ready ƒ" and double click on my program's icon. Using ResEdit 0.8 to modify the Resource Fork. Go back to Turbo Pascal, rebuild...
Amazing feeling. :)
No syntax highlight, no cursor keys (always need to click to there where you want to edit your file).
Amazing World!

Like drive my vintage Chevy from '77

But, every time when I open the current Xcode, I remember, and have a little smile at the corner of my mouth, Yes, 40 years gone.
I love software development - my hobby.

Eric's Edge

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
I cut my teeth on C on Unix and DOS back in the day. Ended up working most of my career in the Microsoft stack. I'm used to relying on magazines, books, and manuals when I work in C - back in the dark past before the Interwebs.

Eric's Edge

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
I've been doing a bit of HyperCard programming this week too - and it's quite a bit of fun! I'd love to see some more examples. I'm not a C programmer - usually use higher level languages - that along with no modern niceties I've grown accustom too (intellisense, syntax highlighting, etc) I found C to be quite difficult to jump into on 68k.

@jcs has a few video series where he programs and @Mr. Fahrenheit has been a great help with me learning some HyperTalk :)
I put my game up on archive.org if you want to take a look.
https://archive.org/details/hypercard_royal-game-of-ur

displaced

Tinkerer
Nov 2, 2021
Kent, United Kingdom
I’m harbouring dreams of porting the BadApple demo to 68K Macs. It’s been decades since I did any assembly, and my C is rusty after years of C#, Python and Ruby. But it’d be fun to try, even if the result is failure!

Reactions: Eric's Edge

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
Hi,
I posted recently this: https://tinkerdifferent.com/threads/rendering-cgi-using-quickdraw-and-c.200/
(I really don't always know where to post stuff, so I thought these things are "Projects")
I've been working myself with Symantec C++ 7, and my main focus is QuickDraw for rendering CGI, starting with 2D but then making something in 3D later.
For me Symantec C++ is doing the job. It's nice and a challenge going back to the basics, when you couldn't just look for an example in the internet to copy and paste...

reallyrandy

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
New Jersey
I think the last time I wrote compilable code was in Think Pascal and the MPW, and that was in the early 90's. I think I still have the excellent "Oh, Pascal" reference book. I still do a bit of AppleScript and Javascript mainly for automation on Creative Suite.

TheJ

New Tinkerer
Jan 3, 2022
Canuck-land
Since this is a development thread...

I'm trying to track down a NON_LIMITED verson of MacFORTH.
Any version would be awesome but would love to have ver 4.2 (lst one as far as I know)

Dig through those basement boxes and let me know !!! :->
(...here's to hopping for a 2022 miracle!)

Here's what I'm talking about...

YMK

Active Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
I’ve had trouble getting Think C 5 to work properly on 7.6.1 - reloading projects results in an out of memory error.

I've run into this exactly once. I resolved it by creating a new project and copying the source files over to it.

I started out with think C 6 and quickly moved to 5 after many crashes, before even compiling anything.

Think C 5 has been solid for me on a Centris 610 running System 7.6.1.

The 040, high resolution video and low noise have made it my favorite machine for development.

Neither Think C 5 nor 6 were stable on my PowerMac 6100.

Paolo B

Tinkerer
Nov 27, 2021
Nagoya, Japan
Back in the day and before falling in love with MATLAB, I had a crush for Think Pascal.
Elegant, simple, compact, powerful and - above all - funny to use, it ticked all the boxes.

ElBaroni

New Tinkerer
Dec 11, 2021
Canberra, Australia
My favorite environment is:

Symantec THINK C++ v6 running on System 7.5.3 (through Basilisk II v1.1 running on Windows, but that's besides the point) accompanied with THINK Reference to easily look up library functions, data definitions, globals, etc.

Acceptable alt choices:

Symantec THINK C++ v5 is very similar and I'm not sure what's lost if I went to it
CodeWarrrior was often mentioned in the plethora of coding examples I've seen but I decided against it because it was more geared towards System 7+ and didn't give me direct access to System 1-6 that I really wanted.

Avoid:
Macintosh Programming Workshop - everyone seems to develop a hate for it, especially the convoluted resource fork wizardry that must be enchanted to tie your apps together, it's truly obsolete and meant for a bygone era.
Lightning C - I'm sure it was fine in its day but THINK C is just better
Megamax C - same

Check my signature for my old website that I've been meaning to update
4A9C1AB2-6E86-4EF2-BDA1-8AC5A814AFF1.jpeg

Reactions: flag4 and Mu0n