ADB keyboard left plug problems

JeffC

Tinkerer
Sep 26, 2021
Seattle, WA
Hi, I'm having some issues with my ADB keyboard. The model is "Apple Keyboard", it's the style with a power button and no function keys. It's not the slimmer IIgs style. There seems to be something going on with the left keyboard port. It exhibits the following behavior:
  • Mouse plugged into ADB port on computer, keyboard (RIGHT port) plugged into ADB port on computer = mouse & keyboard function fine.
  • Mouse plugged into ADB port on computer, keyboard (LEFT port) plugged into ADB port on computer = mouse does not function (I assume the keyboard does not function, I'm not sure how to test without the mouse working.)
  • Keyboard RIGHT port plugged into back of computer, mouse plugged into keyboard LEFT port = mouse does not function (as above, I assume keyboard does not function.)
  • I didn't try the keyboard left port plugged into the computer and the mouse plugged into the right keyboard port, I assumed this wouldn't work since plugging the keyboard left port into the computer seems to stop the ADB ports from working.
This behavior is the same on both my SE and SE/30 so I assume it is unrelated to the computer. This is how the keyboard was when I got it, I never had it working "properly", so I can't confirm it was ever working as I am thinking it should. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Freshestcream

Tinkerer
Nov 4, 2021
Milwaukee
Hopefully popping it open sheds some light on the problem. I repaired one of these keyboards that had been water damaged. The ADB port daughter boards had many broken traces. Now that its repaired it's one of my favorite keyboards. Love that mechanical feel.

Reactions: JeffC

Johnnya101

New Tinkerer
Dec 13, 2021
Bad ADB port? Very easy to replace, as long as you can solder. New ones are sold, but they are black, not white.

Reactions: JeffC

JeffC

Tinkerer
Sep 26, 2021
Seattle, WA
I was working on the keyboard today to clean a couple sticky keys, so I decided to look at the ADB connector while I was in there. All the solder joints looked fine, but I went ahead and re-flowed them and added new solder. I blew out the port with canned air, then DeoxIT, then canned air again. After this the keyboard works great, both ADB ports work as they should. I didn't bother to test between the reflow and DeoxIT, so I'm not sure which fixed it, but it works now!