AirTalk: Wireless plug-and-play LocalTalk dongles (a short review)

joshc

New Tinkerer
Feb 24, 2022
I thought I'd create a thread about AirTalk as I haven't noticed it mentioned on this forum yet.

There's a new device called AirTalk which is a really neat way of hooking up Macs together via LocalTalk over WiFi. I wasn't involved in the creation of it, but I've been using two of these devices recently, to talk between Macs and you can also use them to transfer files between a Mac and mini vMac on a modern machine.

Here's what the devices look like:

IMG_5895.jpeg
IMG_5894.jpeg

The setup process is really easy. With just one AirTalk, you can link an old Mac to mini vMac running on another computer. With more than one AirTalk, you can create your own LocalTalk network between old Macs over WiFi. :cool:

IMG_5751.jpeg

Each device has two ADB ports, so you can use them as a passthrough if the old Macs you're using them with only have 1 ADB port. Each device also has a LocalTalk port, so you use that to connect each device to each old Mac in the network you are creating.

There is a little Chooser extension, which you install on an old Mac if you want to configure the AirTalk directly from the old Mac. The other way is to configure it from a web browser on a modern device. Either way, it's really simple. When things are working, the file share will show under AppleShare in the Chooser as normal.

Here's the thread with details if anyone's interested in how it works or what it does: https://68kmla.org/bb/index.php?thr...-and-play-localtalk-dongles.39661/post-447531

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I just reviewed the information about this neat gadget. Nice! I can have my IW II printer over there and still print. I still am unclear about some things.

Did the creator have a website about this product with more details and clearly explain what each port is for on the Air Talk? I can see ADB port icons, but I fail to understand why need ADB when Local Talk uses serial?

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
You can chain through the ADB ports to the device, so you don't _have_ to use the USB power port unless you've got a lot of stuff plugged into your ADB chain and there's not enough power.

I just use the USB port since I have the power adapters and cables, and don't necessarily have an ADB device close to the Airtalk.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Ah, okay. Thank you for pointing that out, @ScutBoy. Now, @joshc, does the creator of this splendid AirTalk gizmo have a website for this product? Does it seem this creator is blasting all over Twitter and 68kMLA, no website?

EDIT: I found a GitHub for AirTalk that the creator maintains. I am still hunting for something more official.

Last edited:

joshc

New Tinkerer
Feb 24, 2022
I am still hunting for something more official.
The 68kMLA thread is how I got mine, if that's what you're looking for? And yes, the GitHub page you found is the 'official' documentation for it.