Anyone help me with LocalTalk 3 pin Cable pinouts?

XKSTEVE

New Tinkerer
Nov 2, 2022
Somerset, United Kingdom.
Hello,

I would like to make up a LocalTalk connection cable (the one that goes between the transducer boxes with 3 pins.)

Does someone have the correct pinouts for the plugs?

So far I have found that it's pin 1 and 2 but pin 2 seems different to different people some say its on the right others that its the top one.

Does the twisted pair have to cross over? Pin 1 to pin 2, pin 2 to pin 1 or is it straight through?
Which pins when viewed from the back (cable entry side)

I know its not an interesting or even worth while thing to do really but I have some Apple LocalTalk transducers and it seems a waste to just toss them into a draw.

Also if you know how to take them apart (without damage) I would be interested to know so I can RetroBright them :)

Many thanks for your input

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
..... oh so this is NOT the phone net version ? what you have is the $$ version that did not use phone cables.

idk if this would help or not. But Joe on youtube created his own phone net transducers.

maybe it will help you in figuring out what pins are for what....

Last edited:

XKSTEVE

New Tinkerer
Nov 2, 2022
Hi Patrick, thanks for you reply and info, you are spot on. its the Apple ones IIRC $99 each originally.

Yes I watched Joes video and I pulled the parts from stock to have a go but they have just sat in the project bag since. The video sorta answered one question - if he used standard Cat5e then they are not cross over cables although to be far he does not denied nor confirm this so I am making an assumption here. What it does not answer though is which pins as obviously he has four pairs eight pins RJ45 were as I have one pair three pins MDIN.

The cables come up often on a certain auction platform in the USA but not so often in the UK and the last time I saw them the guy wanted £45 for a I think 2mtr one which is just short of what I paid for the (working) Macintosh SE FDHD.

Attachments

• IMG_3211.jpeg
    IMG_3211.jpeg
    853.6 KB · Views: 57

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
I tried to search and found some more information. But nothing that talks about the 3 pin DIN connector... Well its mentioned. but it only talks about the 8 and 9 pin connector.

http://www.interfacebus.com/Apple_MiniDIN_PinOut.html

... maybe that can help in researching it ? still doesn't say about it being cross over or straight through. and what the 3 pin cables should be ...

I think it would be a real help to the community if we can figure out what the pinout is for the cable...

XKSTEVE

New Tinkerer
Nov 2, 2022
Thanks Patrick. I so appreciate your time on this.

Rest assured, if we do work it out, I WILL post it here... all findings.

I think I am going to wire up a patch panel lead initially and see what works. Just would be SO handy to have a cable to allow a tested pin out diagram for this community.

As you mentioned Joe's excellent re-fab of the original construction, it would really be rude not to make some and post my findings on here also. So I WILL DO THAT once I get time.

Thank you!

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
Ok i remembered that i have the 3-pin din cables for these local talk devices. using a multimeter i tested continuity.
it seems that they are straight through. The middle pin doesn't seem to be connected. so just uses the pins on either side.

robin-fo

Tinkerer
Feb 17, 2022
Switzerland
Check Inside AppleTalk

Btw. you can swap pin 1 and 2.. It doesn‘t make a difference due to the encoding LocalTalk uses.

03686702-D097-4AD5-A5BB-C333600619B9.jpeg

Attachments

• 1DCB4D8E-6E7A-4CD1-A206-34C25B6ED0E9.jpeg
    1DCB4D8E-6E7A-4CD1-A206-34C25B6ED0E9.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 65
  • Love
Reactions: XKSTEVE and Patrick

XKSTEVE

New Tinkerer
Nov 2, 2022
Wow Robin, Thank you so much. That covers everything I wanted to know.

I had not heard of that book nor did I find a reference when searching - Found it now though :)

Many thanks to Patrick as well for his input. - I think that closes this thread as there is the info for all to see.

All the Best Steve

Reactions: Patrick