Pascal Apple Pascal 1.3 Compiler Error

Relating to Pascal programming.

Eric's Edge

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
I'm attempting to work with Apple Pascal 1.3 on my Apple IIe. Aside from the Pascal OS being strange, and the lack of assessable books and tutorials, I'm running into a compiler error on a very simple Hello World type program. I wonder if anyone can recognize the, probably obvious, error in the code.

The {$S+} is a compiler directive to allow swapping. Without it the compiler runs out of space. Very curious.
Screen shots included.

Attachments

• Compiler Error for Hello World - source code.PNG
    Compiler Error for Hello World - source code.PNG
    1.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Compiler Error for Hello World.PNG
    Compiler Error for Hello World.PNG
    1.9 KB · Views: 52

VicNor

Tinkerer
Apr 13, 2022
Sweden
Pascal is amazing! Unfortunately I've only experienced Borland's Turbo Pascal on CP/M and DOS systems.

That said... The code looks fine, but I would like to see a semicolon after the WriteLn statement - but I recall that ISO dialects of Pascal is OK to skip it before an End.

Are there maybe some compiler options in a menu for memory management that has been switched by accident?

Maybe the compiler directives differ from dialect to dialect, but isn't {S+} for stack checking?

Eric's Edge

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Pascal is amazing! Unfortunately I've only experienced Borland's Turbo Pascal on CP/M and DOS systems.

That said... The code looks fine, but I would like to see a semicolon after the WriteLn statement - but I recall that ISO dialects of Pascal is OK to skip it before an End.

Are there maybe some compiler options in a menu for memory management that has been switched by accident?

Maybe the compiler directives differ from dialect to dialect, but isn't {S+} for stack checking?
I did try the WRITELN statement with a ";" at the end with the same result.
The only compiler options available are the directives you add to the code. It's all very privative - which is why I love/hate this stuff. :cool:

From the Apple II Pascal 1.3 Workbook
Handling Stack Overflow If a compilation is too large for the system's memory, there are several things you can try. See the section "Compiling Large Programs" in Chapter 15 of Part III for detailed information. You are more likely to have stack overflow with the 64K Pascal system. If you are using the 64K Pascal system, you can o Put the {$S+} or {$S++} "swapping" Compiler option into your program; o Use the Swap command from the Command level of the Pascal operating system.

Eric's Edge

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
I tried out Pascal 1.1 and the code worked fine. Also, I contacted the person who created this video and he offered to send my his copy of his disks.

Reactions: VicNor