BlueSCSI - Open, Low Cost, DIY SCSI to SD device

• Poll - Extending the term length of the board
    The poll has now closed and the results are now available here.

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
BlueSCSI is an opensource Hardware, Software and Design that use the STM32F1 chip to emulate a SCSI device on your vintage machines. BlueSCSI is a fork of the ArdSCSino-stm32 project.

v1.1-a - Current version, minor QoL changes. DB25 and 50 Pin versions.

BlueSCSI is distributed under a Non-commercial license. We want the device to be in the hands of users and not some quick sellers or cloners. We have a set of community members & makers from around the globe distributing them. You can find authorized makers at https://scsi.blue

If you want to make your own for yourself and friends, please do! We have a guide here - https://github.com/erichelgeson/BlueSCSI/blob/main/docs/build-your-own.adoc

Variants

Others have created form factors to fit in Powerbooks, IIgs, and a variety of other machines.

Ports

F4
- There have been efforts to port the chips to the STM32F4 series and those are sold by the creator.

Chat/Questions/Support

BlueSCSI's official chat is on Discord (link in Github repo) and Github Discussions. Feel free to chat here on this thread too but it will primarily be used for announcements.

Last edited:

RetroViator

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
retroviator.com
Hmm - was not aware there was a IIgs/IIe optimized version...
Thanks for pointing out the IIGS version. I missed this news. I had tried using a standard model earlier but didn't have any luck.

Instead of mounting it internally (which I hadn't thought about), I planned to replace the spinning drive in the external enclosure that came with my IIGS. I was lucky the system came with an Apple High-Speed SCSI card.

If I can make this happen, I would then move my CFFA-3000 to my IIe Platnium and then the Booti to the II Plus.

Attachments

• IMG_3891.jpeg
    IMG_3891.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 139

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
You may have seen on my recent chat with @Ron's Computer Videos or @Branchus on MacYak last night mention 1.1-a. This update is mainly a Quality of Life update and the software compatible between 1.0 and 1.1.

There are two versions now:

1.1-a Desktop
Changes:
Binky! There are now resistors and pin outs for Power and Activity LED's
Resistor nets flipped all the same way - will help people like @Mac84
50 pin allows for right angle connector
SD Card facing out the back - gives some better options for mounting and access
New bracket that uses less filament and has mounting options for most cases
Better mounting holes on the PCB
New artwork by @Stephen

1.1-a DB25
Plugs directly into the DB25 port of your Mac.
Removed unnecessary components (berg, led, etc)
Termination is always on, if for some reason you do not need termination you can socket or not install the resistor nets (this would be an unusual case)
New case in development by @Branchus

The new hardware will be released under the same creative commons non-commercial as before.

Currently the final versions in the hands authorized sellers which you can find on https://scsi.blue and the kicad files and gerbers will be posted shortly to github for you all to enjoy. Life has been busy so please be patient as we get everything published and ready.

back1.1a.jpg
front-1.1a.jpg

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
Everyone has parts on order - things take a while to get places. Please be patient and I'll announce when they have them up for sale. I plan to have a small batch of DB25's available next week and will post here first to give the TD crowd the first chance.

If you are in Australia @Branchus already has them up.

Androda

TinkerDifferent Board Secretary 2023
Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
If you're interested in trying a hardware and/or software fork of BlueSCSI, I have kits available that support external LEDs.

On my site, designs which are blue PCBs run the mainline BlueSCSI software. Green and black PCBs are running a forked version of the software on different microcontroller boards. All of the designs use PCBs of my own design, and active termination.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just noting that other hardware and software versions exist.

• Love
Reactions: techav

Javmast3r

Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Hi Folks, I'm looking for a repository of SD card images that have already all installed, I remember there's one for the PDI Apple II Card.
Thanks in advance.

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue

We have a bunch on the wiki, the iie card is in the first link.

Reactions: SteveHere