BlueSCSI - PowerMac 6100/60 - Freezing and odd behavior

martinsmartin

New Tinkerer
Mar 8, 2022
Hi folks,

I need help troubleshooting an issue I have with this new BlueSCSI 1.1-a card that I just acquired.

This is a first time for me dealing with this type of setup so I apologize in advance if I'm a little ignorant on obvious things.

Any help sent my way is appreciated because I sure need it!

It’s a little wordy tho… TLDR? Life is hard… I guess. :unsure:

Preface and setup:

PowerMac 6100/60 ( Not officially on the BlueSCSI supported list )
24MB RAM
Recapped, new PRAM and thermal paste re-applied to the PC601
I have no Issue whatsoever when using the OEM Hard Disk loaded with 7.6.1
I load up all applications, goof around with Kids games and use any apps I want.
Super Stable.
I unplug the CD Drive, the floppy disk, and Hard Disk when doing these tests.

SD Card is Formatted EX-FAT – Default allocation Size. ( I tried a bunch of other sizes too )
I tried FAT32 also.
I also tried using a berg connector and a separate USB power supply.

The scenario:

I followed this guide on youtube to get me started initially because I had no clue where to start.

I’ve successfully installed System 7.5 to MacHD-2048MB.hda without issue.
I was also able to push Apple Legacy Recovery to another Image without issue also. MacHD-1000MB.hda
I’m was doing this in SheepShaver because I assumed NuBus PowerPCs we’re compatible… But it doesn’t seem like it. I figure it doesn’t matter anyways as I just use it as passthrough to install and immediately transfer the SDCARD to the BlueSCSI on shutdown.

I can boot into the ALR image ( HDx0_512-ALR.hda ) no problem. Works 100% of the time!
I cannot fully load into any OS on the MacHD-2048MB.hda ( HDx0_512-OS.hda ).
Doesn’t matter what version or SCSI ID.
It will boot, it will load the extensions at the bottom, but once the desktop loads, the Green LED stops blinking… The whole system freezes. ( I can only move the mouse around ) I press the reset button on the BlueScsi a few times and the LED eventually starts blinking and the system semi recovers then errors occur as expected etc.

I tried installing 7.5 from the ALR booted 6100 to the MacHD disk. I’ve also tried initializing it first with Drive setup 1.7.3. The same issue happens, it's starts writing, green LED loud and happy, then abruptly stops within a minute or so. It does this every time! Everything is frozen except the mouse. I press the reset intermittently and it eventually recovers, then cancels the install.

What are my next steps? Am I missing something obvious? Is it just not compatible with 6100 at all?
I've seen't it online! Some peeps had it working on a 6100!

Do I need to cowboy it some more and purchase an ST-LINK V2 dongle and zap the thing?

Probably doesn’t need to be stated but it’s not a true STM chip.

Thanks for reading!

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
I have it running on my 6100 just fine, make sure you've zapped your pram when installing a new drive and OS.
Try another OS as well that's more PPC oriented like 8.1 perhaps.

Barring all that I can send you my image.

martinsmartin

New Tinkerer
Mar 8, 2022
I have it running on my 6100 just fine, make sure you've zapped your pram when installing a new drive and OS.
Try another OS as well that's more PPC oriented like 8.1 perhaps.

Barring all that I can send you my image.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I did the PRAM ZAP and installed 8.1 and it's still no go. Exact same behavior. I have to keep pressing the reset button to nudge it along.

Here's a goofy example I just recorded. Lower your volume as the mouse is sitting directly on my plywood work desk.
The clicking is intolerable too lol. Small delay at the beginning.

Not sure if Dropbox links are accepted on this forum. But here it is.

I got a little farther... I guess?

I don't get what's going on here... Why does the reset button even work?

Maybe the SD Card is bunk? I just bought it and started using it yesterday.

Out of curiosity, do you run a separate power feed or do you just use the ribbon cable?

That's it for me tonight... Tomorrow is just another day.

Drake

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Thanks!

I'll try the PRAM zap and I'll give 8.1 a shot and report back.

Out of curiosity, do you run a separate power feed or do you just use the ribbon cable?
Powered only by SCSI cable and totally legit signatures!
20211029_174855.jpg

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
I'm not sure re-flashing would do anything - I've not seen that be an issue or resolve an issue before (though you may want to pick one up, some new things coming soon(tm)) - Be sure to buy the cheap clone st link v2 (one that looks like a pack of gum).

You will need to supply power to most powermacs machines, so a berg to molex is recommended. I'd also test the 5v line and see what it reads. If passive termination is supplied too low of a voltage it will not work.

If the drive image you have is formatted with lido that may cause an issue on powermacs. You'll want to grab the Apple formatted ones from my mega or Drakes image. You will not be able to format in an Emulator.

You'll also want to go step by step through the troubleshooting guide - especially using the SD Card Formatter Utility - it takes care of 99% of "weird" issues.

caver01

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
grab the Apple formatted ones from my mega

Could you please share (or re-share) your mega link? As a relative newcomer to blueSCSI, I have run into odd issues with other drivers on pre-made images (solved using SilverLining, but I‘d rather use apple drivers).

Thanks!

martinsmartin

New Tinkerer
Mar 8, 2022
I'm not sure re-flashing would do anything - I've not seen that be an issue or resolve an issue before (though you may want to pick one up, some new things coming soon(tm)) - Be sure to buy the cheap clone st link v2 (one that looks like a pack of gum).

You will need to supply power to most powermacs machines, so a berg to molex is recommended. I'd also test the 5v line and see what it reads. If passive termination is supplied too low of a voltage it will not work.

If the drive image you have is formatted with lido that may cause an issue on powermacs. You'll want to grab the Apple formatted ones from my mega or Drakes image. You will not be able to format in an Emulator.

You'll also want to go step by step through the troubleshooting guide - especially using the SD Card Formatter Utility - it takes care of 99% of "weird" issues.

Hi Eric, thanks for the guidance!

When I have the time I'll try out your recommended steps and report back.

I did indeed buy the pack of gum just in case!

Last edited:

martinsmartin

New Tinkerer
Mar 8, 2022
@eric @Drake Drake's build solved all my problems!

Well uh... That was easy.

Moral of the story : Let people do the work for you? 🤦‍♂️ lol

Thanks for all the help!

I can finally move on and tinker with this childhood device of mine.

Cheers!

FYI, 5V line is registering at 4.97V and installed a berg power feed after the fact. I'll leave it connected for now.

Drake

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
@eric @Drake Drake's build solved all my problems!

Well uh... That was easy.

Moral of the story : Let people do the work for you? 🤦‍♂️ lol

Thanks for all the help!

I can finally move on and tinker with this childhood device of mine.

Cheers!

FYI, 5V line is registering at 4.97V and installed a berg power feed after the fact. I'll leave it connected for now.
Great! Glad we could help. Ez pz lemon squeezy

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
As more users start using non 68k machines I suppose it's about time to switch from LIDO to plain old apple drivers, just need some time to do it!

drzeissler

New Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Got another two bluescsi and wanted one in my PM6100/66. Prepared the SD Card as before bit the PM6100 does not see any drive connected to the machine. I checked the other working bluescsi in my LC against it, but it's the same. I am currently patching one bluescsi....perhaps this will fix the issues?

drzeissler

New Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Was the sd-card. Changed it and now it works great on my PM6100. The flashing process did not work for me. Homebrew/apple dev/compiling...8GB and lot's of time...stopped with an compiling error...changed the sd-card and it worked...should have tried this bevor achieving the firmware- patching-process...

I love the blueSCSI, next I will buy en external one too.
Do two work on SCSI-Bus without additional power? (One internal the other one as external for backup/installation?)
I still need a SCSI solution for ATARI MegaSTE and Amiga2000 on GVP Controller.
Hopefully Amiga and Atari will work too...
That would be great!

drzeissler

New Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
First run on MKlinux with PM6100 and bluescsi was a failure. Lot's of writing issues on the bluescsi on a brandnew SD-card. (7.5.3. installation was 100% OK on that machine) Is there are problem with MKlinux and blueSCSI ? btw. MKLinux uses EXT2 filesystem for root.