Broken legs on a Lisa keyboard key cap - 3d printed replacement

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
So, I had picked up a Lisa 2/10 a while back. and while removing the key caps for cleaning, the kegs on the Caps Lock key broke. I tried various methods to re-attach the existing legs, but was unsuccessful at getting them attached, at the correct height, and the correct angle. I even tried using heat to correct the angle and ended up melting some of the bottom of the key cap (don't use a heat gun!).

I have a 3d printer and almost no knowledge of 3d modeling, so what better idea is there than to try to replicate the legs and support section of the key caps!

I had a general idea of the sizes I was dealing with from other, intact key caps, so I modeled up 3 different variants at slightly different angles. I then hollowed out the underside of the key cap, put the 3 different leg replacements on my keyboard, and picked the one that fit the best and gave me the matching angle. I am actually not sure, but I think I used the 10 degree version for my Caps Lock key. Either way, I'd print multiple since they are quick to print. I then used plastic epoxy to secure the key to the leg replacement, making sure it was centered in the space with the surrounding keys.

If anyone else has broken legs on their Lisa keyboard, and still have the key cap, you can grab my 3d files here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6287040

It would be an incredibly time consuming process, but I even considered trying to graft these legs onto a modern set of key caps. But I decided I'm not ready for that level of effort. I do also love the original look of it. I also will be using the adb2lisa adapter to connect my modern ADB mechanical keyboard to the Lisa at some point. So I don't have too much of a need at the moment. If anyone needs a different set of angles, please let me know and I can fumble my way through making more.

Attachments

• IMG_0550.jpeg
    IMG_0550.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0551.jpeg
    IMG_0551.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0554.jpeg
    IMG_0554.jpeg
    493.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0556.jpeg
    IMG_0556.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0557.jpeg
    IMG_0557.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 52

fehervaria

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
North Germany
Could you please load up your 3D files here?

In case of 3rd party storage places remove the files. Many times we find old articles (many decades old) about some solutions for our vintage problems, but the attached files are not available anymore.
So, please, load up your 3D model here.

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Good idea. Also, for the record, I am terrible at modeling, so if anyone wants to clean it up / improve it, I welcome that!

Attachments

• LisaKeyCapLegReplacements.zip
    123.6 KB · Views: 18