JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
This post is not about listing every vendor of floppy disks out there, in 2022, especially since most of us know they can most often be found on EBAY here and Amazon(USA) here. Today, I read this recent INTERVIEW with Tom Persky, who is owner of floppydisk.com. The article inspired me to email a list of 8 questions to the company, for the sake of helping people who may be interested in obtaining new/old-stock floppy disks for the Mac, especially those harder to find 800K disks. This is important because you absolutely should not use 1.44MB HD floppies as 400K or 800K disks. But I also asked about 5.25" disks too, for you Apple II owners. Tom very kindly replied back to me within the hour, answering my questions as follows:

• Q1: A box of ten 3.5" Macintosh 800K formatted DS/DD MF2-DD list on your website for $19.95. Are these used/recycled with mixed brands, and with existing stickers or sticker residue on them?

We take new old stock DS/DD disks and format them for Mac. So, the newly formatted disks are (on average) a couple of weeks old.

• Q2: Do your Macintosh disks come with clean & unmarked labels, either affixed or in affixable sticker form?

Yes, we include new plain white labels.

• Q3: Do you have new and/or sealed packs of Macintosh 800K DS/DD MF2-DD disks? (If so, brand & price info would be appreciated.)

Almost zero. Maybe 10-15 packs of 10. Various manufacturers. $25 per pack...

• Q4: Do you have any Apple-branded floppy disks, be that 3.5" or 5.25"? And are these new or used? (Pricing and quantity info would be appreciated.)

No new ones. We do have recycled ones, but we commit to degausse/erase them before we resell them...

• Q5: What would be the shipping cost for a box of ten Macintosh 800K DS/DD MF2-DD disks shipped to JAPAN?

We wouldn't ship 10 disks to Japan. The cost would be at least $50 for shipping alone.

Q6: Because all of your floppy disks are "old stock" and none newly manufactured, what is your best guess on their usable lifespan, if stored unused in a cool dry place? Perhaps another 20 years, tops? Also, is occasional reformatting something that would help extend their life or reduce it?

Hard to say. We see 40 year old disks that have no deterioration. Some 5 year old disks are junk. Obviously, the disks are not for archival purposes. Keep the data on a hard drive or the cloud. Then write to disks as needed...

• Q7: Does your storage facility control temperature & humidity or otherwise do something that would help ensure the longevity of the floppy disks you sell?

Just a normal office building in Southern California. So no humidity and no big temperature differential.

• Q8: Do you have any rare or unusual floppies which might be of interest to collectors?

We run a recycling business and I am sure we are destroying collectable stuff all the time. The problem is that it is hard to identify the collectable nuggets in the overall pile!
I asked Tom about shipping to Japan because I live in Japan, and I also know that if a North American vendor is not willing to ship to me in Japan, they probably won't ship to countries outside the US and Canada either. But it seems, based on Tom's answer to Q5, that he is mainly just hesitant to ship outside the US due to the sheer cost of shipping. Most likely that means if you place a larger order to make shipping worthwhile, or just agree to pay a rather steep shipping fee, he would likely ship to you. Is a box of ten 800K disks worth $20 + $50 shipping for locations outside the USA? In my opinion no, but this info is just FYI. For folks who live in the USA though, a new/sealed (old stock) box of 800K disks, even for $25, is worth it, I think. Note in his answer to Q4 that he also has used Apple branded disks.

Is this even relevant today with many of us using a FloppyEMU? I think so yes. If it wasn't, why then is there a market for floppy disk drive gears? Fact is that many of us want a fully working machine for the nostalgia and fun. The FloppyEMU should be owned by all of us, but it doesn't mean we can't or don't have a good, working floppy drive too. And again, you should not use the more ubiquitous 1.44MB High Density disks as 400K and 800K disks in the oldest Macs.

Note that you can buy 720K Double-Sided Double-Density disks and format them in your vintage Mac as either 800K or 400K Macintosh disks. You cannot use 800K Mac formatted disks in Most PCs, but if you have the right software on a vintage Mac, you can read 720K PC-formatted disks. And if you happen to have a very rare batch of 400K Single-Sided disks, keep in mind that only one side was certified, so formatting them as 800K may not bode well for your data in the long term.

I hope this information helps those of you searching for Apple branded floppy disks.

To stimulate discussion on this topic, I would encourage you to chime in about what floppy disk brands you have used through the years which have proved to be the MOST RELIABLE over time, especially in high humidity environments which tend to cause mold. Some popular brands (not comprehensive) include: 3M, SONY, Maxell, TDK, Verbatim, BASF, KAO, and Memorex.

1663400573251.png 1663400792622.png 1663401137751.png

When sharing your experience, be sure to mention the disk capacity and the date you purchased them or approximately when they were made. In the article, Tom said, "the best disks are the ones made between 1985 and 2000."

Lastly, if any of you know what company made Apple-branded floppy disks in the 1980's, that would add something useful to this discussion as well. (Sony?)

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I wonder how many folks realize Pirate Ship helps lower shipping costs? :) I understand that international shipping gets expensive shipping FROM the United States. I've noticed it's the other way around, global to the United States, which sometimes is cheaper. Strange. Something to do with taxes? Hmmm.

Now, as for the brands...I remember that there were Sony, 3M, Imitation, FujiFilm, and BONUS. Other brands, such as KAO, TDK, and Maxell, were less popular. Maybe it was the market area I was in at that time between 1985 and 2000. 3M was my favorite, but BONUS was more affordable. I got 5.25" disks for my Apple //e between 1985 and 1994. Then, 3.5" disks for my Macs and PC afterward. A few years after 2000, I stopped using floppy drives.

Reactions: JDW

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I wonder how many folks realize Pirate Ship helps lower shipping costs?
Not me, at least not until I read your post. Googling the name showed me this website:

Seriously, I had never heard about them before. Wow.

• Wow
Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I still want to use 3.5" and 5.25" floppies even though I have FloppyEMU, SD cards, CDs, DVDs, and hooked up to LAN. I got a floppy disk drive for my Mac Mini G4 and iBook G4. I have some 5.25" and 3.5" new blank floppies. I prefer to get 800k blank floppies, even though I know the hole can be covered on the 1.44 to format as 800k and used in 800k drives. :)

I know that back in the day, there were punchers to make a 5.25" floppy on the back side and another puncher to make 800k disks work in 1.44 MB drives.

My 68k Macs have SuperDrives with the Sony 2.0 MB drives writing and reading 1.44 MB, 800k, and 400k (I think it depends on the OS), including my SE, which has two SuperDrives. I realize if I ever get a Mac 128k or 512k, the 400k disks are hard to find. :(

Last edited:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Not me, at least not until I read your post. Googling the name showed me this website:

Seriously, I had never heard about them before. Wow.

I learned about it this year. :) I did not know about it before, either, until I noticed BMOW was using it. A good friend of mine mentioned to me, too.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I forgot that I have an Apple IIGS that uses Apple 3.5" 800k and Apple IIc 5.25" drives. I still want to use 800k 3.5" and 5.25" floppies on my Apple IIGS, even though it has the FloppyEMU and the SD card. :)

Tangentially, BMOW (Big Mess of Wires) offers the Yellowstone disk controller for the Apple II series, including the IIGS. Some have said it doesn't resolve this and that. However, I am glad BMOW did that to have more options. So, applying that same approach to create more opportunities for the vintage computer community, having floppy disk media available more readily would be nice, even if not a massive number like it used to be back in the day.

In 1984, 400k 3.5" floppies were hard to find for a few months after the Apple Macintosh was announced and released in January 1984. Ironically, it still is hard to find. :)

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
So, I found out that circa 1993 Apple had contracted with KAO to make those Apple-branded 3.5" HD disks. See the picture below So, KAO was a vendor making disks for Apple. Did Apple have others? Hmmm.

1663411177945.png

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
So, I found out that Apple had contracted with KAO to make those Apple-branded 1.44 MB disks. See the picture below So, KAO was the one vendor for Apple. Did Apple have others? Hmmm.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know KAO did the OE supply of 1.44MB disks for Apple. But I doubt it was KAO for the Apple branded 400K and 800K disks. That's why in the opening post I said I suspect it was SONY, since SONY was making the drive mechanisms that Apple used. I just don't have any proof of that.

Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Thanks for the info. I didn't know KAO did the OE supply of 1.44MB disks for Apple. But I doubt it was KAO for the Apple branded 400K and 800K disks. That's why in the opening post I said I suspect it was SONY, since SONY was making the drive mechanisms that Apple used. I just don't have any proof of that.

You're welcome, @JDW. Yeah, I suspect as well about Sony helping Apple with the disks in addition to the drives. I need to find the box, lol. :D

Speaking of Sony, did you know that Steve Jobs wanted the 5.25" Twiggy drive in the Mac? The Macintosh engineers secretly discussed it with Sony because Sony had just started with the 3.5" drive in 1983. The engineers knew Jobs would fly off the handle if he ever found out prematurely. Here is the story: