Case for Androda's Mac Portable VGA Adapter

wottle

Active Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Since I didn't learn my lesson about my terrible design skills while trying to build a universal laptop power adapter, I recently ordered one of @Androda's Portable VGA adapters and thought, "I probably should cover this up before I damage it and short out something important". So I build a very basic box. With 3 cutouts. And a handful of spacers.

It's not great, but it's functional. So, if anyone else has one and wants to cover it up, feel free to break out your 3d printer and put it in a box. My spacer was a bit off so I threw in some folded paper, and there are no screw down holes, so I threw in some hot glue to keep it held down. Lid is friction fit, so I hope that will last, but it is snug at the moment.

IMG_2292.jpegIMG_2293.jpeg

Here it is in Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6776541

Thanks @Androda for making awesome things, particularly for the Portable and hopefully you're OK with me putting your cool module in such a boring and ugly box!

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Thank you for being so kind, @wottle !

And by the way, I would love to see a pic of your Mac Portable using that adapter with an external monitor!

wottle

Active Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
I tried to grab one, but my Portable is being a bit finicky. I'll snap one when I figure out why it's not booting.
Unfortunately, this will have to do for now. Took everything out and trying to remove as much as possible. Video out definitely does work, though. Apologies for the messy desk
One thing I did notice when my machine was still together is that the case I printed is tight up against the back of the portables case. I may need to adjust the shape of the case, but it appears to allow the port to be fully seated.
Now to figure out why my machine refused to boot when it was put together.

IMG_2303.jpeg

Reactions: eric and JDW

wottle

Active Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Getting better…
IMG_2305.jpeg

… back together and still working. Not sure why it refused to power on before.
IMG_2306.jpeg

and here’s my little box:

IMG_2307.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JDW

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Thank you for the photos.

It's hard to tell from the shooting angle and lens distortion, but is the mirrored screen proportionally correct? Or is it slightly horizontally smashed like it appears in the photo?