Color Classic input voltage question

jibsaramnim

New Tinkerer
Mar 16, 2024
South Korea
www.davejansen.com
Hi everyone! This is my first post here. While I am still very new, I hope I'll be able to grow into a somewhat useful part of the community over time! :)

I have a question regarding the input voltage of a Color Classic. As far as I can tell, these units were all (normally) multi-voltage, supporting 90-240v. This is mentioned on EveryMac and Apple's own documentation, as well as what's written on the bottom of the Color Classic I acquired just yesterday.

For a bit of background:
However, the seller told me to only use it with 110v, something that's also written (presumably by him, to remind himself) in the actual power input socket with a sharpy. I am trying to figure out if there were Color Classics with 630-0349 analog boards that were limited to only supporting 110v, if anything has been done to this unit that would limit its input voltage like this, or if it was simply a misunderstanding of the previous owner. This seller mentioned several things that led me to think they might not have a complete understanding of this device — not to imply that I know what I'm talking about either, of course 😅.

The seller I bought this particular unit from said they bought this device about 5 years ago. They did not seem too familiar with what had been done to it, other than mentioning the hard drive had been replaced with an adapter and SD card (I didn't check yet which particular adapter is being used. It does work fine though). After opening it up I discovered that the logic board has actually been recapped, presumably by whomever my seller bought it from. Fortunately the PRAM battery was also removed, presumably when the re-cap was done.

From first glance it appears that the analog board is untouched. I have not taken the analog board out yet to be able to look at it more carefully, but from what I was able to see with the back cover removed, it appears stock. I want to wait with taking it out until I obtain the parts necessary to recap it. The display is acting up, with it occasionally flickering, suddenly becoming noticeably brighter (or dimmer), and other similar oddities. I'm pretty sure it's doing all the tell-tale signs of a Mac asking for a recap.

Back to my questions:
  1. Were there any Color Classic analog boards with the same commonly found 630-0349 model number that were only 110v?
  2. If not, could any work done on its logic board or anywhere else in the device (outside of the analog board) be the reason why input voltage is restricted like this? I can't find anything else being modified other than the logic board recap and hard drive replacement being in place.
  3. What is the best way to verify which input voltages this board/computer supports, are there any particular parts of the analog board or its components I can look for to figure this out?
For now I've been using a step-down converter just to be safe while I figure this out. Ultimately though, I'd prefer to run this on 220v though, as that's what we're using here, and I prefer to not have to grab my converter every time I want to power this thing on.

I'm happy to take any and all advice you can give. Even though it'll need a bit of love and care, I'm really happy I was finally able to find a Color Classic where I live. I've been looking forever for one, and was overjoyed when I finally did find it and was quick enough to get it.

Thank you!

DSC00931.jpg

DSC00935.jpg

DSC00976.jpg

Paolo B

Tinkerer
Nov 27, 2021
Nagoya, Japan
The only fixed voltage analog board that I have ever encountered is the one of the original 128k.
Anyhow, I have a Performa 275 (a CCII sold only in Asia), and that one is rated 100-240 V, 50/60 Hz, 2A.

Paolo B

Tinkerer
Nov 27, 2021
Nagoya, Japan
Other than what's printed on the bottom of the case, is there any other way to check for this? It does not seem like Apple printed the rated inputs on the analog board — or I haven't found that at least.

In sheer honesty, I have no clue, but I would be very surprised if the board had been tweaked for working at 110 V only.

The official specs are reading variable voltage input.

Could be that on some markets the regulatory labeling mandates to conform only to the local voltage (my Sony TV is labeled 100-110 V, but in fact can handle 220 V, too). But in your case it’s indicated variable voltage (I guess the unit was sold in South Korea).

Reactions: jibsaramnim

jibsaramnim

New Tinkerer
Mar 16, 2024
South Korea
www.davejansen.com
Answering my own question: After doing about as much research as I thought I could and not finding any evidence that this Mac has had its analog board tampered with in such a way that it would have become 110v-only, I went ahead and tried it out over 220v. Fortunately it booted up just as fine as it did on 110v :).

I didn't test it much more beyond this as I don't feel too comfortable running it for very long as the display is acting up quite consistently, and I don't want to encourage any of the caps on the analog board to consider kicking the bucket in dramatic ways. I have replacement caps coming in, hopefully soon I'll be able to sit down and re-work this board and ideally not kill it in the process.

Thanks for the help!

Reactions: Paolo B