Color Classic Max RAM

chrisdaun

New Tinkerer
Mar 12, 2023
Anyone know if it's possible to patch the Color Classic's ROM to remove the 10MB RAM cap?
Or is the limit done is software by the OS?

Nov 4, 2021
Tucson, AZ
From what I understand of that cap it comes from the ROM being mapped starting at the 10MB address and thus expecting to from functions to be in that range. Moving it would be a serious reengineering of the ROM and potentially breaking some apps that naughtily call into the ROM directly. The mapping is almost certainly done by fixed logic that would have to be replaced, and is probably embedded in a custom chip. Apple probably didn't wire up an unnecessary address lines to the SIMM slots to be able to use bigger sticks either.

Reactions: chrisdaun

chrisdaun

New Tinkerer
Mar 12, 2023
From what I understand of that cap it comes from the ROM being mapped starting at the 10MB address and thus expecting to from functions to be in that range. Moving it would be a serious reengineering of the ROM and potentially breaking some apps that naughtily call into the ROM directly. The mapping is almost certainly done by fixed logic that would have to be replaced, and is probably embedded in a custom chip. Apple probably didn't wire up an unnecessary address lines to the SIMM slots to be able to use bigger sticks either.
That’s too bad. I was hoping that is was possible to develop something the BMOW rom-inator-ii custom ROM for the Color Classic

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
And there were a lot of discussions in this matter such as this thread over at the 68kmla. The limit seems to be mostly due to the 24-bit address lines that limit the amount of memory supported.

Paralel

Tinkerer
Dec 14, 2022
It's always funny to click links and find out I wrote the post years ago and completely forgot I did so.

It's a good thing 68kMLA goes back as far as it does. If I didn't write some of this stuff down I'd have forgotten it by now.

Last edited:

AvadonDragon

Tinkerer
Jan 27, 2023
Tennessee
It's always funny to click links and find out I wrote the post years ago and completely forgot I did so.

It's a good thing 68kMLA goes back as far as it does. If I didn't write some of this stuff down I'd have forgotten it by now.
It is really nice. I went back and read some of my old posts over there and discovered I had done some upgrades to my machines that I had COMPLETELY forgotten about!

Reactions: chrisdaun