Colour Classic - issues on startup.

nyar

New Tinkerer
Mar 18, 2023
Hi everyone, I was referred to this forum by a Branchus Creations video. Thank you for taking the time to read this!

The other day, I picked up a color classic. The previous owner did remove the clock battery, but unfortunately, he did so after it leaked. So I started my work. I removed corrosion from the chips that were effected and went over the traces that were corroded away with some patch jumpers. Side note: how do you guys run these wires inside the existing vias? When I try, it seems to get blocked midway. Recapped as well.

After I completed my work, the computer would turn on. The original owner showed it doing this before. But no chime or screen was shown. After some tinkering, it does one of these things.

It will either

- not turn on at all (not common; it happened while I was tinkering yesterday)
- turn on, no chime or display
- turn on with no chime and display a blue-ish screen with some faint weird stuff going on.
- more commonly, turns on with a death chime and no video. The chime happens not instantly, but pretty close.
I have not once heard a happy chime from this machine.

I've attached some pictures of the board here. Yes, I know about the corrosion under the battery. The copper under it had the mask corroded away. Its rough. I have a wire jumping the via at the moment. I've also tried to see if swapping the LS245 chips around would make any difference to startup, but no luck there.

I'm not sure what it could be. If anyone has any pointers or suggestions, feel free to let me know! Thank you very much!

board 1.JPG
board 2.JPG
board 3.JPG
board 4.JPG
board 5.JPG
board 6.JPG
board 7.JPG
board 8.JPG
board 9.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Kai Robinson