Crazy notion? G3 Accelerator built into enlarged memory card in 5300ce?

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
If possible, would be interesting, thoughts?

Best choices for advanced, very high on board cache CPUs available have very specific solder side component requirements. Such makes them compatible only with the CPU card of the 1400. Mounting such a CPU underneath an enlarged memory card would seem to be the only way to hack the 5300 series?*

*I've been torn between using the 'Book compatible 200MHz 603e I sourced to do a SUPERce or SuperDuo2300c build for the last ten years or so. Opening up possibilities for this mode of attack would make that choice a no brainer. 1400 CPU Card plans for said G3 are in the works for retirement project.

In depth discussion of CPU choices for Blackbird G3 CPU card are in a long hacks thread somewhere over at the MLA.

Paralel

Tinkerer
Dec 14, 2022
If possible, would be interesting, thoughts?

Best choices for advanced, very high on board cache CPUs available have very specific solder side component requirements. Such makes them compatible only with the CPU card of the 1400. Mounting such a CPU underneath an enlarged memory card would seem to be the only way to hack the 5300 series?*

*I've been torn between using the 'Book compatible 200MHz 603e I sourced to do a SUPERce or SuperDuo2300c build for the last ten years or so. Opening up possibilities for this mode of attack would make that choice a no brainer. 1400 CPU Card plans for said G3 are in the works for retirement project.

In depth discussion of CPU choices for Blackbird G3 CPU card are in a long hacks thread somewhere over at the MLA.

It's too bad the theory didn't work out for the Blackbird accelerator. I have to check and see if they ever did any further on it or not. If you want to end up using the same model of CPU, let me know, I might still be able to get my hands on another one.

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Yeah, that would have been really cool in the 'birds, but not much cubic available for PBX and the G3 even if it could work. More chance of getting it to work in the PB190, I'd think? Folks look upon it as a step down from the Blackbirds when it's actually a (hobbled for the low end) step up to the PPC architecture as was the Q630.

I'd be very interested in sourcing one of the G3s we were discussing, can't recall which one offhand though. Are such things getting thin on the ground? Price range?