Crucible for the SMC ROM SIMM

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
Crucibleicon3-1.png

Mar 26, 2023 The new Crucible V1.1 is ready! Download here!!!

New instructional video and information in this
post#25

The SMC ROM SIMM is a new ROM SIMM that was released the other day and has already been posted here.
There are several steps to creating a ROM, and to shortcut this, we created a Mac App. called "Crucible" with @OneGeekArmy

<<Last edited, Mar 17, 2023. >>

First of all

Requires SMC ROM SIMM. Program the ROM on the assumption that four SST39SF040 EEPROMs will be installed.
Until now, making ROM boot disk was done by some geniuses, but now we can make own ROM SIMM. And it's easy!
The program does not require any C language. Crucible does all the tedious and confusing stuff for you.

Features of Crucible

1, Create a 1.5MB boot disk that includes the 7.0.1 or 6.0.8 system
218322264-8d2df978-1cfe-4774-aa47-40e573b22f30.png

- A boot disk image can be created. These can be created by selecting blank, System6.0.7, and System7.0.1. The created ROM will be completed in the Download folder. These are simple system folders only, so they don't contain anything other than boot. This is edited using the Mini vMac emulator. Specifically, we will add software and function expansion documents so that the upper limit of 1.5MB is not exceeded.

2, Combine the ROMs in Crucible and split them into four.

-Once you've created a boot disk to your liking, come back to the Crucible and merge it with the modded IIsi ROM and split it into four. The split Bin files (U1, U2, U3, U4) will be in your Download folder.

3, Flash the finished 4x ROM files (use a ROM programmer)
*Please note that this work does not use Crucible. The latest T48 ROM programmer is not compatible with Macintosh, The TL866II+ has a third-party Mac program, but it needs to be the latest MacOS in order to set it up via Homebrew.
IMG_4335.jpeg
Steps 1 and 2 are performed on a Mac, but ROM programmer software is only compatible with Windows, so flashing the ROMs must be done using Windows. Use the TL866 or T48 flashing software to flash all four split Bin files (U1, U2, U3, U4), and then set the resulting EEPROM onto the SMC ROM SIMM.

Go ahead and try Crucible!

Crucibleicon3-1.png
Crucible V1.0 Download here

Attachments

• Crucibleicon3.png
    Crucibleicon3.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

OneGeekArmy

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Belgium
diskjockey.onegeekarmy.eu
I'm seriously amazed by the ROM SIMM and very flattered that @Kay K.M.Mods gave me a chance to help in a small way.

I've always thought the ROM-Inator was an amazing achievement (and it still is, obviously) but to be able to create your *OWN* ROM and include any files (or System!) you want with it is very, very cool.
With Crucible, we've tried to remove the sticky point of managing the actual data that goes in your ROM. All you have left to do is to get the hardware (KMM's ROM SIMM, a handful of chips and a ROM flasher) and you're off to the races building the ROM you want.

Also: in Crucible, you'll also get to see @Drake 's little devil actually do some work for a change.

Paralel

Tinkerer
Dec 14, 2022
Congrats on this huge step forward. This is a big leap for easily creating a useful ROM disk.

Your little devil chip, he is meant to be a PIC? An SOIC? A TSSOP?

I'll have to consider asking you guys to adapt a version for the Classic II ROM disk, as the current implementation is a pain in the rear, is in fact in C, and is not exactly what one would consider "User Friendly".

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
- A boot disk image can be created. These can be created by selecting blank, System6.0.7, and System7.0.1. The created ROM will be completed in the Download folder. These are simple system folders only, so they don't contain anything other than boot. This is edited using the Mini vMac emulator. Specifically, we will add software and function expansion documents so that the upper limit of 1.5MB is not exceeded.

-Once you've created a boot disk to your liking, come back to the Crucible and merge it with the modded IIsi ROM and split it into four. The split ROM will be in the Download folder. These can be flashed directly using a ROM programmer.
@OneGeekArmy

I am not 100% clear on the complete procedure. Could you please confirm if the following are the exact, correct steps for people to follow in conjunction with the Crucible software?

1. Create a boot disk *.img file that is no bigger than 1.5MB, and put it into a folder on the Desktop named "Download". Make sure you can access it in Mini vMac so you know it will work on the ROM. You can create that image in Mini vMac or by dragging one or more *.img files onto the Crucible app, so long as the total filesize is no larger than 1.5MB. If you have multiple System folders on different *.img files, Crucible will combine them into a single image which will later allow you to use System Picker to switch among them after you boot from the finished ROM.

2. Put a ROM file appropriate for your Mac into the same "Download" folder. (Find those ROMs online somewhere, and make sure the filename ends in *.bin) Drag that ROM file onto Crucible. Crucible will then create 4 files named XXX1.XXX, XXX2.XXX, XXX3.XXX & XXX3.XXX.

3. Use a special programmer to program the individual XXX1.XXX etc. files (saved inside the "Download" folder) to each of the 4 ROM chips.

4. Put the programmed ROM chips into the ROM SIMM, in the correct positions on the ROM SIMM, then put the ROM SIMM into your powered-off Mac, then switch on Power to use!

Reactions: Kay K.M.Mods

OneGeekArmy

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Belgium
@OneGeekArmy

I am not 100% clear on the complete procedure. Could you please confirm if the following are the exact, correct steps for people to follow in conjunction with the Crucible software?

1. Create a boot disk *.img file that is no bigger than 1.5MB, and put it into a folder on the Desktop named "Download". Make sure you can access it in Mini vMac so you know it will work on the ROM. You can create that image in Mini vMac or by dragging one or more *.img files onto the Crucible app, so long as the total filesize is no larger than 1.5MB. If you have multiple System folders on different *.img files, Crucible will combine them into a single image which will later allow you to use System Picker to switch among them after you boot from the finished ROM.

2. Put a ROM file appropriate for your Mac into the same "Download" folder. (Find those ROMs online somewhere, and make sure the filename ends in *.bin) Drag that ROM file onto Crucible. Crucible will then create 4 files named XXX1.XXX, XXX2.XXX, XXX3.XXX & XXX3.XXX.

3. Use a special programmer to program the individual XXX1.XXX etc. files (saved inside the "Download" folder) to each of the 4 ROM chips.

4. Put the programmed ROM chips into the ROM SIMM, in the correct positions on the ROM SIMM, then put the ROM SIMM into your powered-off Mac, then switch on Power to use!

3 and 4 are correct. 1 and 2 are much easier! :)

Crucible already contains a ROM file that it will combine for you with the image file you want to use.

You can either use an image file you provide (as long as it's smaller than 1.5 MB as you point out) OR you can use one of the built-in images that Crucible can generate for you:
- a System 6.0.7 boot disk
- a System 7.1 boot disk or
- a pre-formatted empty disk image (of the correct size of course) that you can fill up with anything you want.

So to sum up, Crucible already contains the ROM file (no need to worry about it) and will automatically merge it with a disk image you provide. It will then create the 4 files that need to be copied on the 4 ROM chips using a chip programmer (and put them in your Downloads directory).

If you don't have a disk image handy, it can provide you with one.

If you want, you can try Crucible and see how it works. You can go through the process all the way to the creation of the 4 files.
(we tried to make it fun too :) )

• Love
Reactions: JDW

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com

1, The Downloads folder is the "Downloads" folder already in your Mac's user directory.
If you have multiple System folders on different *.img files, Crucible will combine them into a single image which will later allow you to use System Picker to switch among them after you boot from the finished ROM.
You can't do that, Crucible creates a total 2MB ROM image, but the first 512KB contains IIsi's Modified ROM, and the latter 1.5MB contains the ROM Boot Disk, but it is always a single boot image disk. Because ROM Disk is literally Read Only Memory, it can't even write make-active information on boot disk. Nothing can be added later on the actual vintage Mac.

2, The ROM file is a modified IIsi built into the Crucible, so you don't need to prepare it yourself. All you need is the ROM Boot Disk image.

• Love

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
@OneGeekArmy & @Kay K.M.Mods

Thank you for explaining. I understand now. I was simply confused by the earlier video which showed 3 images (System 6, System 7 & Blank) all being used with Crucible...

1676252965710.png

It is pretty obviously that all 3 disk images show above wouldn't fit into a single 1.5MB image, but I wanted to clarify that point for others reading this thread.

And so, I think the usage flow is this...

1. Make your custom disk image. Anything that fits into a 1.5MB image is okay -- even a blank 1.5MB image. That can be a System 6 boot disk or a System 7 boot disk, or be a boot disk with small apps on it too, but you must prepare that 1.5MB disk image first, and it would be best test it with Mini vMac.

2. Your single (not multiple!), 1.5MB *.img file is what you Drag-and-Drop onto Crucible, so Crucible will combine your 1.5MB image with the IIsi ROM image that is built into Crucible (no need for the user to prepare it), and then Crucible will split the result into 4 separate files and save them into the standard MacOS "Downloads" folder.

3. The user must then individually burn the 4 files to 4 IC chips using a special programmer (TL866II+ or the newer T48) and special software (Windows-only for the T48) which operates the programmer.

4. Finally, the user must put the 4 chips into the sockets Kero's Mac Mods' ROM SIMM, following a particular order -- you cannot put the ICs into the ROM SIMM sockets at random.

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
4. Finally, the user must put the 4 chips into the sockets Kero's Mac Mods' ROM SIMM, following a particular order -- you cannot put the ICs into the ROM SIMM sockets at random.
Right, I'm sure you understood 100% now!

Crucible creates 4 files U1,U2,U3,U4 which are actually flashed into the EEPROM SST39SF040, which should be the same EEPROM that is actually placed on the PCB of the ROM SIMM. I mean, it's written on the PCB card silkscreen, so you know what it means.

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
What is the file size of the System folder? How much space for apps?
As mentioned in my previous post, you must create a 1.5MB disk image with *.img filename extension. You can leave your 1.5MB image to be blank, or you can put only apps on it, or you can put a System folder on it (only one SE/30-compatible System folder will fit into 1.5MB). It's entirely up to you.

Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Okay, 1.5 MB for the system folder and apps - is there a way to use compression so that apps are loaded in memory to expand and use? Kind of like nesting and unnesting. Just trying to cram as many apps as possible. :LOL:

It would be cool. What do you think @OneGeekArmy? Of course, provided the SE/30 has enough RAM.

Last edited:

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Okay, 1.5 MB for apps - is there a way to use compression so that apps are loaded in memory to expand and use? Kind of like nesting and unnesting. Just trying to cram as many apps as possible. :LOL:

It would be cool. What do you think @OneGeekArmy? Of course, provided the SE/30 has enough RAM.
The only thing close to what you are asking is DiskDoubler, but I don't think that will work on this time 1.5MB image. You can test it with Mini vMac though and see.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
The only thing close to what you are asking is DiskDoubler, but I don't think that will work on this time 1.5MB image. You can test it with Mini vMac though and see.

The story behind Disk Doubler is that it was developed from MacCompress, a fork from Unix Compress. Perhaps the engine can be used and rewritten in C in the SMC App so it can compress the apps using that engine, and then another engine nested in the System file (the file, not the folder) will uncompress the apps to a RAM Disk.

However, how much will the System file eat up the 1.5 MB image? And then, with all that compression, is it worth it for that 1 MB or less left?

Last edited:

OneGeekArmy

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Belgium
Okay, 1.5 MB for the system folder and apps - is there a way to use compression so that apps are loaded in memory to expand and use? Kind of like nesting and unnesting. Just trying to cram as many apps as possible. :LOL:

For the record, the exactly correct size is 1,572,864 bytes, because the IIsi modified ROM takes up 524,288 bytes of the available 2,097,152 bytes (2 MB) of the 4 combined ROM chips. The blank disk image included in Crucible is precisely the right size so you won't waste a single byte :)

As for compression and decompression, things get more complicated. Even though Kay's invention allows you to make a ROM device writeable while you're on your modern computer, when the ROM SIMM is in the vintage Mac, it's still very much a read-only device. If things need to expand, they have to do so in the Mac's RAM, which would imply the creation of a RAM disk from the ROM.
Rom-Inator creates a RAM disk so it can be done, but it's beyond my expertise with the whole thing at this point.

Interesting idea, though!

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Rom-Inator creates a RAM disk so it can be done, but it's beyond my expertise with the whole thing at this point.
The BMOW ROM-inator II gives users the option of pressing a keyboard key to choose either ROM Disk or RAM Disk (where the content of the ROM is loaded into RAM for the purpose of changing data, which cannot be done on the basic ROM Disk)...

1676270979154.png

But I believe Kay's ROM is ROM Disk only. There are no special modifier keys at boot time for Kay's ROM.

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
@JDW @OneGeekArmy @retr01

Thanks for all the opinions!

As you may know, my store sales ROM-inator Resurrections, manufactured under license from Steve Chamberlin. Some profits are returned to BMOW.
I'm not dissatisfied with ROM-inatorII, and I still have a lot of respect for it. I think ROM-inator II is a perfect card for users who don't need to flash again. The ROM SIMM programmer is open source, but the chip used to make the ROM SIMM programmer has been out of stock for over two years, and unfortunately it is not currently available for end users to flash with.
In fact, when the SMC ROM SIMM was made, I reported it to Steve Chamberlin first. Normally, I don't think people would feel good at such times, especially when people see something similar to the product they sell. However, he has an open mind and told me that my card was well made.
Going back to basics, I wanted to have a project where I could build my own ROM SIMM card, so I reverse engineered and redesigned this card. So it's clear that the routers and footprints are different compared to any card. This card uses four SST39SF040, the origin of Hacked ROM SIMM, and does not require a dedicated programmer. I would be happy if you could reflect the ROM you can think of yourself and enjoy hacking Vintage Mac. SMC ROM SIMM is the card for that!

ROM-InatorII is a good card made by one genius. But we don't have to reject good features, but we don't want the exact same features. However, ROM SIMMs still have the potential to be edited by enthusiast users, so it would be nice to think about them together.

• Love
Reactions: JDW and retr01

tcole

New Tinkerer
Nov 25, 2022
This looks really cool! Does anyone know if it will work in an SE/30 with a Bolle Carrera040 accelerator?

I know the ROM-Inator II won’t work. I think because the Carrera040 expects a certain location in ROM and any modified ROMs change that.

I expect the answer is no, it won’t work. But wanted to check.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Since the SMC ROM SIMM is programmable with the appropriate ICs and programmer, I believe someone could modify the 512k IIsi ROM code so that it matches the expectations of @Bolle's Carrera040 accelerator and still skips memory checks and whatever cool features. :)

Imagine having a library of ROM codes for certain configurations and features that could be programmed to the SMC ROM SIMM.

Reactions: tcole

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
This looks really cool! Does anyone know if it will work in an SE/30 with a Bolle Carrera040 accelerator?

I know the ROM-Inator II won’t work. I think because the Carrera040 expects a certain location in ROM and any modified ROMs change that.

I expect the answer is no, it won’t work. But wanted to check.
Thanks for interesting our SMC ROM SIMM, If you don't mind, please tell me who said ROM-inatorII doesn't work with Carrera040. or link (?)
I didn't check it for a long time, but I tried booting, testing with System7.1, 7.5, and booting the ROM disk with their combination, but there was no particular problem in my test.

I will test with our SMC ROM SIMM with Carrera040 if I have a time, see you!