Drying analog board after cleaning

Redsward

New Tinkerer
Mar 5, 2023
Brachus has a great recapping video for classic mac analog boards which he cleans in his ultrasonic cleaner after removing the speaker . But I cant find reference as to how he drys them . Just air or a hair dryer ? Any suggestions greatly appreciated !

Daniel Hansen

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
If you hair dryer is getting hot enough to melt solder or even plastic, I suggest replacing it. ;)

A hair dryer will be fine. You can also dry boards in an oven (obviously at a very low - lowest, even - setting).

If you're skittish about heat or the potential for static build up - it's understandable - air drying will obviously also do the job, just takes longer - like, days to be sure it's all gone. Find a sunny spot to hurry it along.

In any case, it's a good idea to blow out connectors and ic's with compressed air to dislodge any water that might be residing in places that might make it difficult for the water to evaporate during straight up drying. If you have IPA, using that as a quick rinse will also help dislodge any sneaky water and promote drying.

Reactions: Redsward

Redsward

New Tinkerer
Mar 5, 2023
If you hair dryer is getting hot enough to melt solder or even plastic, I suggest replacing it. ;)

A hair dryer will be fine. You can also dry boards in an oven (obviously at a very low - lowest, even - setting).

If you're skittish about heat or the potential for static build up - it's understandable - air drying will obviously also do the job, just takes longer - like, days to be sure it's all gone. Find a sunny spot to hurry it along.

In any case, it's a good idea to blow out connectors and ic's with compressed air to dislodge any water that might be residing in places that might make it difficult for the water to evaporate during straight up drying. If you have IPA, using that as a quick rinse will also help dislodge any sneaky water and promote drying.
Thanks , yes I have IPA and will do a shallow jiggle bath . I just find the idea of putting the Ana log board in the cleaner a tad radical ! Good to know the drying process is much the same, maybe just a bit longer ….

Daniel Hansen

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Thanks , yes I have IPA and will do a shallow jiggle bath . I just find the idea of putting the Ana log board in the cleaner a tad radical ! Good to know the drying process is much the same, maybe just a bit longer ….
Bruce of course knows what he's doing, but yeah it's just a board and what steps you take would depend on the state of the board. That said, I don't have any specific experience with Classic AB's so take this fwiw.

Redsward

New Tinkerer
Mar 5, 2023
Going to air dry for 4 days then put them in the sun for an hour . Thursday I hope wil be Happy Mac day . This project has taken hours of Branchus videos and a lot of gear purchasing (you need a hobby she said …..) . Very glad to have found this community!

Reactions: Patrick and flag4

fred1212

Tinkerer
Jul 27, 2022
I usually shake dry then hit it with ipa to expel water and leave in a warm place for at least 24 hours. This method has worked so far

Redsward

New Tinkerer
Mar 5, 2023
I usually shake dry then hit it with ipa to expel water and leave in a warm place for at least 24 hours. This method has worked so far
Yes I put them through a little isopropyl bath . They look like new! Drying nicely in a warm room.