Dumpster diving is fun

Alf Torp

Tinkerer
Today I found a 1988'ishToshiba T1200 and two LaCie 1TB BiggerDisk G935's. USB, FW400 and FW800. 4 x 250GB disks in each cabinet, for a total of 1TB (931GB usable space). Pictures tomorrow. I started the Toshiba this evening, and.. it frickin works. Even the disk spins up and gives me... DOS 3.20. And get this: After having it on power for about 10-15 minutes, it was running on the original battery when I disconnected the power adapter.

Alf Torp

Tinkerer
So, here it is , starting up in all its DOS glory

2.jpeg
3.jpeg
4.jpeg
5.jpeg
6.jpeg
6.jpeg
7.jpeg
8.jpeg
9.jpeg

And as I mentioned I got two of these:

11.jpeg
12.jpeg

One seems to be working fine, and the other I've taken apart to see if I can fix the faulty drive(s). Interesting construction on these LaCie disks, and the drives themselves seem to be somewhat special too:

1.jpeg
2 (1).jpeg

I wonder if I can find a SATA to IDE adapter small enough to fit. Would be fun to have say ... 4x4TB in one of these cabinets.

Attachments

• 10.jpeg
    10.jpeg
    885.6 KB · Views: 35

Alf Torp

Tinkerer
Todays score: 30" Cinema Display. Fully working. Not a scratch anywhere. It's HUGE! I could not fit it on my desk without modifying my desk...

IMG_3713.jpeg

Score two: 2006 Intel iMac 2.16GHz, 3GB RAM, 250GB disk including keyboard, mouse, correct power cable and Mac OS X Snow Leopard on DVD. Practically pristine:

IMG_3714.jpeg

All of this was given away for free, so I couldn't turn them down. The question now of course is... what do I use the iMac for? Suggestions?

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Build a emu retro gaming console with it and give it to your grandkids. Let em stick Super Mario Bros. Metroid and Sonic the Hedgehog stickers all over it. They’d be the coolest kids on the block.

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Now that 30” is begging for a friend. Get a second 30” if you have the space or maybe push one using dual-link DVI with your 3,1. That would be pretty cool. a 30" aluminum cinema display has always been on my bucket list. I would love love love one of those for my garage bench. I dont care if my space is tight, I'd make that puppy fit. :D

Last edited:

Alf Torp

Tinkerer
Now that 30” is begging for a friend. Get a second 30” if you have the space or maybe push one using dual-link DVI with your 3,1. That would be pretty cool. a 30" aluminum cinema display has always been on my bucket list. I would love love love one of those for my garage bench. I dont care if my space is tight, I'd make that puppy fit. :D

Build a small shelf or articulating arm and put it on the wall over the bench maybe? One thing I can say for sure: Having passed 50, the 30" is a godsend for my eyes 🤓