Easy way to transfer files to and from iMac G3?

bryanambition

New Tinkerer
Oct 19, 2022
London, UK
bryanambition.com
Wow, my first post! So I have an iMac G3 from 2001 running OS 9 which I'd like to start using for writing. I just need a way to transfer files to and from (ultimately to my MacBook Air M1). I do have an ethernet connection and both Classilla and Microsoft IE, which work to some extent, but so far I haven't found a way to use it to transfer files. Is there an email client that works with such an old system or a Dropbox-type site compatible with OS 9 I could use? I've considered getting an SD card reader and connecting it via adapters to my MacBook Air, but wasn't sure if this was even an option. Is there even an SD card reader that would work with such an old USB 1.1 port?
I also have an external hard drive (not SSD) that connects via USB, but the G3 doesn't seem to be able to power it and it goes off soon after I plug it in. Besides, even if that did work I wouldn't be able to get it onto my MacBook Air.
I'd even consider using a thumb drive, but will it work with the old version of USB? And would I have to format it first?

Sorry for all the questions at once, but I'm ambitious here and learning fast.
Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks for reading! ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: KingDingus

rjkucia

Tinkerer
Dec 21, 2021
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Any old USB drive should work. USB 1.1 is slow, but perfectly functional. It probably doesn't have enough power for your HDD, especially if it's expecting USB 3, which provides more power. A USB SD card adapter should also work.

You can format the drive as HFS+ (aka Mac OS Extended). Both sides can read and write to that.

Reactions: bryanambition

bryanambition

New Tinkerer
Oct 19, 2022
London, UK
bryanambition.com
Any old USB drive should work. USB 1.1 is slow, but perfectly functional. It probably doesn't have enough power for your HDD, especially if it's expecting USB 3, which provides more power. A USB SD card adapter should also work.

You can format the drive as HFS+ (aka Mac OS Extended). Both sides can read and write to that.
Ah, this makes total sense! Thanks man ;-)

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
another option would be to setup a ftp server on your Air, then you can ftp files back and forth that way. (or setup the ftp server on your iMac and ftp from your Air.....)

It would be more work to setup than just use a USB drive. ....

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Hi @bryanambition! :) 👋

I use both approaches, as mentioned by @rjkucia and @Patrick.

Using a USB floppy disk drive is probably more straightforward. For the FTP approach, I use this program on my modern Mac and an older 10/100 Netgear FS105 (metal blue box) ethernet switch hooked up to a router, which works well between my G4 and modern Mac. I could even do that between my SE/30 with an ethernet card and a modern Mac.

Last edited:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
If you are going the FTP approach for your local area network (LAN), the older Mac running OS 9 (or older) will need some type of FTP client. I have found that using Internet Explorer for OS 9 works best. There are FTP clients for OS 9 that may work well such as Fetch or Transit that can be found on the Macintosh Garden.

Reactions: Patrick and YMK

bryanambition

New Tinkerer
Oct 19, 2022
London, UK
bryanambition.com
If you are going the FTP approach for your local area network (LAN), the older Mac running OS 9 (or older) will need some type of FTP client. I have found that using Internet Explorer for OS 9 works best. There are FTP clients for OS 9 that may work well such as Fetch or Transit that can be found on the Macintosh Garden.

You're a lifesaver! Thanks so much! ;-)

Reactions: retr01

skate323k137

Tinkerer
Mar 7, 2022
I have a free SwissDisk online drive that's accessible via WebDAV protocol - on OS9 I connect with Goliath and on OSX Mac can connect via Finder - it's essentially Dropbox that works on old hardware too.
That looks really cool.

Perhaps not the easiest way but I found my phone has tethering through USB-C to Ethernet, so I use it as a Wifi card basically if I'm not near a LAN port. For my files themselves, I just use an HTTP or FTP server generally, and just browse the folder index with internet explorer or what not.

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
for awhile i used to use a2server. which was linux image + scripts + patches to get apple talk working. Basically you would setup a linux server (maybe in a VM on your computer) and any old mac could talk appleshare too it. and any modern computer can use modern file sharing with it.
the webste seems to be down.....

BUT somebody on this forum as started a new project to update netatalk here
So if you want to get nerdy and set that up its an option. its prolly not the turn key solution. But it has some advantages.

Last edited: