Finally, a nice Quadra 840AV

Elemenoh

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Bay Area
I started working on this one today. The power button does trigger the power on circuit and voltages at the MLB PSU connector are all okay. The caps were quite crusty as well as a couple of the serial ICs and U48 which looks like it might deal with reset. I cleaned up all of that. Just need to check traces and lay down new caps. Hopefully this will be an easy one.

Elemenoh

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Bay Area
19A6BA60-27E0-4258-A7A0-09403B1E3B19.jpeg
6D4359B4-7C42-4F6C-ABAB-CA20F0ED9960.jpeg
2F9ED0C6-5A7D-4935-BD45-C9328F023C95.jpeg
DD3C5898-E631-4B47-A030-ECBDEEA1D147.jpeg
0DF2C514-6F6C-4A8E-ADC0-7E4B244432F0.jpeg

Elemenoh

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Bay Area
One thing not working is boot volume snag keys. CD-ROMs mount when booted to HDD but there’s no attempt to boot to CD when one is chosen as the startup disk, C is held at boot or ⌘+CTRL+⌥+SHIFT+DEL is held at boot. It’s not like it tries and fails. It just immediately boots to HDD regardless. ⌘+⌥+PR works fine and so does the three finger reset. So keys are recognized, but I’m not able to boot to CD. I tried system 7.6.1, Norton Utilities 3.5 and Tech Tool Pro 3. I also tried unplugging the HDD but had the same issue. I also tried unplugging the Jaz drive in case that was causing some conflict.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I realized one of the key chords above was wrong. ⌘+⌥+SHIFT+DELETE does work to prevent booting to the HDD and did try to boot from the CD-ROM. Still curious why “C” isn’t working.

Last edited:

fogWraith

Antiques Dealer
Sep 2, 2021
One thing not working is boot volume snag keys. CD-ROMs mount when booted to HDD but there’s no attempt to boot to CD when one is chosen as the startup disk, C is held at boot or ⌘+CTRL+⌥+SHIFT+DEL is held at boot. It’s not like it tries and fails. It just immediately boots to HDD regardless. ⌘+⌥+PR works fine and so does the three finger reset. So keys are recognized, but I’m not able to boot to CD. I tried system 7.6.1, Norton Utilities 3.5 and Tech Tool Pro 3. I also tried unplugging the HDD but had the same issue. I also tried unplugging the Jaz drive in case that was causing some conflict.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I realized one of the key chords above was wrong. ⌘+⌥+SHIFT+DELETE does work to prevent booting to the HDD and did try to boot from the CD-ROM. Still curious why “C” isn’t working.
The "C" option I think came a bit later with them fancy new PPC machines that have OFW, I could be wrong though.
While the shift+command+option+delete works, if you have the option of using a boot floppy that loads the CD extension (and mounts the CD), that ought to work fine if you need to do a re-install or something along those lines

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
The "C" option I think came a bit later with them fancy new PPC machines that have OFW, I could be wrong though.
While the shift+command+option+delete works, if you have the option of using a boot floppy that loads the CD extension (and mounts the CD), that ought to work fine if you need to do a re-install or something along those lines
That CD-ROM extension really is the ticket to getting the CD drive to work. I recently purchased a Performa 630 on Yahoo Auctions Japan for the equivalent of US$35 (including shipping). I could get the tray to open just fine but it wouldn't access CDs until I booted into OS 8.1, which had the appropriate CD-ROM extension! (And much to my surprise, I found the previous owner had actually upgraded the motherboard to a PowerMac 6200!)

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
She’s all sorted now! I think I’m going to replace my CPU upgraded LCIII with this as my main 68K workstation. Are there any good upgrades for it outside of more RAM?

View attachment 1535
I'm considering a DOS compatability card (once I find a cable) and a second display card for my 800. I've built the ram and vram to fill it up, not sure what else lol. Maybe just finally relax and find some fun software

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
I am beyond jealous... but congrats! Install a few fun NuBus cards and put it to work. 🤓
You were/are using an 800 steve? Curious what configuration you have for that.