Fixing Stiff Apple IIc Keyboard Switches

• Poll - Extending the term length of the board
    The poll has now closed and the results are now available here.

AndyDiags

Tinkerer
Dec 18, 2021
The keys on my Apple IIc A2S4000 keyboard were very stiff, to the point where some had to be pressed really hard to get a click. The other problem is the keys with a latch (ex. Caps Lock) get stuck. We'll go over how we can fix both of these issues.

First, this fix only applies to the following keys. The keyboard PCB is by Photocircuits Atlanta with part 820 0108 03 and copyright date ©1983 printed on the back.
Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 10.47.00 PM.png
IMG_3224.jpg

Fortunately, you don't need to desolder the key to fix the stiffness issue of the main keys. The issue is caused by a bend metal clip, which is easily accessible.

After removing the keycap, pull out the metal clip, like this:
Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 10.51.29 PM.png

If the key was really hard to press and force was used, the metal clip was probably bend. The first steps is to unbend the clip if it's bend. If your clip has any bending as shown below, use tweezers to straighten them up. Here's an example of before/after:

Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 10.55.58 PM.png

The above fix alone will not fix the stiffness, the above bending is caused when the pin is already stiff.

To fix the stiffness, we need to use tweezers to adjust the angles of a bends in the clip. The adjustment is very subtlety outwards, as shown in below illustration.

Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 11.06.18 PM.png

If you don't spread them out enough, keys will be stiff to press. If you spread the clip outwards too much, you won't get any resistance whatsoever on the press. Ideally, key should be very easy to press with not lockups, but during the keypress you should see the metal clip vibrate. If the clip is not vibrating on the press, you've spread it too wide.

I recommend you do this for every single one of your keys. I also suggest that after doing this, let the keyboard sit for a day or two, and then retest. The wire may sightly bend back on its own to its original shape due to an alloy memory property, so additional adjustments may be needed the following day.

Once they switches are pressing fine, we can next lubricate them. I used Super Lube synthetic oil, which was recommended by JWD to use for floppy drives, it's perform for this application. Note this is optional as the improvement from the lube is very subtle.

The key here is to use it very sparingly. You don't ant to use too much causing it to leak inside and preventing contact when pressing they key. Also please don't use deoxit here.

Using a toothpick, put a small drop of the synthetic oil on both sides of the switch indicated in the image below. This is the area that touches the metal clip as you press and release the key. One tiny drop is enough.

Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 12.38.27 AM.png
IMG_3168.jpg

Here's a short video where I first show several keys I already fixed, followed by keys which have not yet been fixed:

Next up are the keys with a latch, this keyboard has 3 of them. Unfortunately to repair these you will need to desolder 4 pins under each of these keys. Root cause of the issue is dirt as we'll soon discuss.

We need to get inside the switch. Remove the metal cover of the switch by grabbing it on the side using tweezers as indicated in the image below, and forcefully pushing up until it slides out. Below image shows how you can can slide it out if you grab it in this position.

IMG_3172.jpeg
IMG_3217.jpeg
IMG_3222.jpeg

Take apart the key switch and place the parts as shown in the image below. Clean the areas indicated by the red arrows. Cleaning this will fix the latch issue. The main culprit is the very tiny nail going thought the piece of plastic, it's unable to slide smoothly though the plastic due to dirt preventing the locking and unlocking.

IMG_3216.jpg

Lastly go back and add a very small amount of synthetic oil again to make the key presses even smoother. Once again, use a toothpick and place a very tiny dot on the two pieces of plastic indicated in the image below. Place the lube on both sides of both pieces of plastic.
IMG_3206.jpeg
IMG_3208.jpeg

When putting the switch back together, be careful not to insert the plastic piece with the tiny nail going thought backwards; the nail head should be touching the aluminum piece. I found that no bending of the aluminum piece inside the switch is needed for these keys. Bending it to make it more springy actually seemed to caused issues with the latch.

Here's a video of two keys side by side, with one which was just fixed.

Lastly, there is a removable black rubber spill protector (the one that is not stapled in) between the switches and keycaps, which on some keyboards disintegrates. Even if yours is still in good condition, take it out and trash it. It heavily dampens the key presses giving the keyboard a mushy feeling, removing it gives the keys a more satisfying press.

Last edited:

AndyDiags

Tinkerer
Dec 18, 2021
Here's the keyboard after fixing all the keys. All the keys have very satisfying clicks as you can hear in this video.

Last edited:

François

Tinkerer
Aug 9, 2022
France
I had to fix the latching keys too, it’s quite a delicate task! The switches seems really fragile, I was worried I might break them:
Remove the metal cover of the switch by grabbing it on the side using tweezers as indicated in the image below, and forcefully pushing up until it slides out.
I’ve found that it’s better to push the metal cover just enough to be able to slide a small flat screwdriver between the top plate of the metal cover and the switch body. You can then wiggle gently the metal plate from both sides alternatively. It will prevent excessive bending of the legs of the metal cover. (as I had to take apart and reassemble the key switch a few time before it was fixed, bending repeatedly the legs may have broken them eventually)

After disassembling (the pieces are really tiny, careful not to loose any, especially the little nail: it can come off the white plastic piece!) I sprayed contact cleaner inside the switch body and used a toothbrush to clean it. Used the same toothbrush after that to clean the other pieces: as my contact cleaner is quite oily, it was sufficient to lubricate them.
I found that no bending of the aluminum piece inside the switch is needed for these keys. Bending it to make it more springy actually seemed to caused issues with the latch.
I had to slightly flatten that aluminum piece to fix the switch! It seems that if the springy part is bent too much it will cause the tiny nail to catch inside the groove of the stem and prevent latching.

(Speaking of the stem: careful not to put it backwards when reassembling the switch, the bump at the base on one side press on the contacts, on the other side is the groove where the tiny nail travels to provide the latching mechanism)

AndyDiags

Tinkerer
Dec 18, 2021
I'm glad my explanation made sense.
I’ve found that it’s better to push the metal cover just enough to be able to slide a small flat screwdriver between the top plate of the metal cover and the switch body.
Agreed, I pushed up just one or two millimeters using tweezers on both sides. Trying to figure out how that initial first mm to let loose was the hardest part. I bend the first key quite a bit trying to figure out a good way to get it apart.

I had to slightly flatten that aluminum piece to fix the switch! It seems that if the springy part is bent too much it will cause the tiny nail to catch inside the groove of the stem and prevent latching.
This will probably depend on how much use the key got. Good for other to know that this may need adjustment as well.

François

Tinkerer
Aug 9, 2022
France
I don’t know why I bothered with those latching keys: as soon as I had reassembled the computer, the two keys next to the reset button stopped functioning correctly !