FloppyEMU (Dec 3rd 2022) newest firmware supports MOOF

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
BREAKING VINTAGE MAC NEWS: moof support was added to the FloppyEMU. This means it can read surface-level perfect copies (copy protection or not) for your vintage macs. And the collection of moofs keeps growing and growing these days. Awesome! This hits the 1984-1985 era emulator folks usually don't care about or don't have the cracking skills for! AMAZING. Winter Games was notorious for eluding emulation.

Winter Games has been one tough cookie to crack over the years. No sweat here.

Growing MOOF a day collection on the internet archive:

The process is pretty easy:
1) Get the newest firmware here https://www.bigmessowires.com/2022/12/03/m
2) extract the .bin file into the root folder of your floppyemu
3) power the floppyEMU while it's plugged in your classic mac
4) hold BACK + SELECT on the floppyEMU and tap power
5) wait half a minute and you're done

To successfully run MOOFs from this moof-a-day collection here: https://archive.org/details/moofaday
1) Navigate to the software you want
2) Click on Show All in the Download Options area
3) Click on View Contents of the default .zip -- example: MacWars (moof-a-day collection).zip (View Contents) (click on View Contents)
4) Just save as the .moof file into a directory of your floppyemu, I just use /macintosh/moof (a new directory I made for ease of search)
5) Using a moof you dumped there should be as easy as using a .DSK

Attachments

• capture70.png
    capture70.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 68
  • capture71.png
    capture71.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 76
  • capture72.png
    capture72.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Dec2022 splash screen.png
    Dec2022 splash screen.png
    118 KB · Views: 67
  • Dec2022 splash screen2.png
    Dec2022 splash screen2.png
    124.4 KB · Views: 73
  • venn.png
    venn.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 70

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
Steve at BMOW explains about IC shortages that could affect BMOW products:
I do hope there is a way to continue the product - he seems not interested in porting to a new chip(s) (per his comments)- it's such a useful device that has no replacement.

Anyone know if 3.5" WOZ support is planned?

From the anouncment: https://www.bigmessowires.com/2022/12/03/moof-disk-image-support-for-floppy-emu/

The MOOF format is essentially identical to the 3.5 inch WOZ format for Apple II computers, just with different metadata. That means it’s theoretically possible to add 3.5 inch WOZ support to Floppy Emu too, and that’s my hope. But it’s unfortunately not as simple as just re-using the Macintosh MOOF code: the Apple II version of the firmware is substantially more complex than the Mac version, because it supports many more types of disk emulation and disk image formats, and it’s already pushing the limits of the microcontroller’s performance and memory, and the CPLD logic chip’s resources. It’ll be a major challenge to weave 3.5 inch WOZ support into this environment.

ElBaroni

New Tinkerer
Dec 11, 2021
Canberra, Australia
It’s a crucial tool — I have two, and they’re absolutely indispensable. Real floppy disks aren’t going to be viable for ever, and very few of my Macs’ drives work. I should probably get onto that, but they’re very complicated and delicate.

Reactions: SteveHere

fred1212

Tinkerer
Jul 27, 2022
Hi Just tried to update firmware on my floppy EMU to latest and am getting "Firmware Warning , Please install firmware Part 2, Expected CPLD Ver 16 Actual CPLD Ver 15."

Anyone Know how to fix

fred1212

Tinkerer
Jul 27, 2022
Thanks for reply I just fixed it by trying again maybe I had wrong buttons with my fat fingers?