FloppyEMU (Dec 3rd 2023) newest firmware supports SIT, HQX, HDA, ISO

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
I'm a bit late to the party, but so must a lot of you people as well, I'm guessing!
There was a massive December 11th firmware update for the Mac side of the FloppyEmu project:

• StuffIt File Support via Boxing
  • Macintosh Hard Disk support for Zulu SCSI, Blue SCSI, and CD-ROM images*

If you're rolling with a FloppyEmu on a Plus: you'll often prefer System 6, so it cuts you off from graceful management of .sit and .hqx from mac garden, which we all know require 7.5.3+ in order to use the painless Stuffit Expander and DropStuff we all love. ISOs won't mount unless you have DesktopMgr installed. I don't want to imagine how any of this is helpful with a 512k or 128.

If you're rolling with a SE, SE/30 or more, the floppyemu is already marginally relevant because BlueSCSI is stronger on these anyway, don't require you to massage the bluescsi ini file and invert your ID # naming schemes because SCSI is weird on Pluses, etc.

*Desktop Manager (enable cd mounting under System 6): https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/desktop-mgr-201 The irony is: if you're putting this .sit file and open/mount it with this newest firmware release of FloppyEmu under System 6, you won't be able to properly extract it. You gotta step into System 7 first, deal with it, and step back into System 6.

HDA mode:
I had to select hard disk mode on the FloppyEmu and was asked to reboot.
It selected a disk image I didn't want to boot with, so I pressed Next to go change it, and was asked to reboot again.
the result worked and played nice with the BlueSCSI v2 I have that had 3 more volumes to mount up.

Screenshot 2024-04-01 10-38-39.png

If I tried to swap this HDA to a ISO (apple recovery cd 1999), I was asked to reboot, but the Mac Plus watch-icon-stalls. I'm thinking these steps MUST be performed in the few seconds of leeway you get when you power up the machine, but a disk hasn't started the boot process yet.

Rebooting again, brought me to a sad mac, chicken-and-the-egg situation, since I can't deal with CDROM unless a recent enough System 7 volume has booted (possibly from BlueSCSI) with a proper CD extension, but the FloppyEmu tries to take boot priority and will bomb out.

Switching to dsk mode forces the loading up of "Macintosh disks/Apps/Visite Guidee.dsk" a folder within a bluescsi volume I have (possibly the first in the priority list) which I never declared to be the System folder to boot with, using say, System Picker. It put me on an endless boot loop of that and I had to rescue myself out of it using FloppyEmu to force a boot with a system 6.0.8.dsk so I could delete that thing.

End of my woes? no. I tried to boot another random system folder from my sys6 app volume, so I had to resort to renaming BlueSCSI priority numbers and finally get to Sys 7.5.3 as my main booting drive.

Next, I use the mount-as-disk-volume feature, seems to work well enough. This is the file we're being told is necessary for system 6 dealings of CD iso images, so I'll try to process it under Sys 7.5.3:

1711984251642.png

Stuffit Deluxe, which opens by default, won't work because it needs 5+MB memory, not possible under a maxed Mac Plus with 4MB.
Stuffit Expander 4.0.2 to the rescue. I put the extension under a Sys6 folder.
After relaunching System picker and selecting the right 6.0.8 in which I copied Desktop Mgr, I'm off to the correct OS!
Then, I switch to CDROM mode, and I get back this sad mac screen again - meaning, chicken and the egg scenario because CDROMs hosted by FloppyEMU try to act as boot drives, but it can't be supported as boot drives in Pluses unless you're already in a specially patched environment.

Screenshot 2024-04-01 11-25-10.png

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
Screenshot 2024-04-01 11-40-33.png

Success! CD mounted under System 6.0.8.

Here are the steps at bootup:

1. Have the floppyEMU in CDROM/HDA mode (requires a restart of the machine)
  2. when you power up the machine, make sure no CDROM is selected. If there is one, you have a few seconds after powerup but before a drive tries to start up to eject the CD from the floppyEMU, by using the right arrow button.
  3. let your system 6 volume boot (from a bluescsi or other outside source)
  4. ignore/dimiss "unreadable volume"/"eject" prompts
  5. when you're finally in Finder, select the CD rom on the floppyemu, ignore its request to restart the mac, but instead, press the power button on the floppyemu to restart the floppyemu
  6. then you get to my state of things in the screenshot above.

• Love
Reactions: Patrick