Found my original iPod (M8541), and it's a beauty

pocketscience

Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2022
Sydney, Australia
Have been searching my home for this for a little while (yes, I have too much stuff!). Anyway, I knew it worked when I last tried it ~10 years ago, but had bought a new battery in preparation for what I expected when the device re-surfaced. But I think I wasted my money... It took a charge and I played a bit of classic music last night. When I checked this morning it was still on full bars. I've since been wandering around listening to more classics and it's amazing. I've dropped 1 bar and over an hour of playback just today. Of course I'll need the replacement battery at some point, but it's sure not now. This was the original 5GB version that I got very soon after they were released.

Hiding in a Pelican case in a box at the bottom of a cupboard... complete with Firewire charger and cable:
IMG_8006.jpeg

All charged and ready to those early noughties tunes..
IMG_8007.jpeg

I always had it in the case, so the back is like a mirror...! :)
IMG_8012.jpeg

Rock on!

New Tinkerer
Feb 15, 2024
I remember the first time I saw a 1st/2nd gen iPod (one of my teachers in 8th grade had one on display in his room, alongside a Beach Boys compilation 8-track), those things are such eye candy.

This Does Not Compute

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
www.youtube.com
The mechanical scroll wheel on the 1st gens always felt so premium to me, with how smooth it is. Back when they launched I wasn't super keen on them (I felt that burning MP3s to CD-Rs to play in my Discman was more economical) but after borrowing a friend's iPod I was instantly hooked.