FX-100 Multi-handle Mod

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
Hi all,

I recently got a Hakko FX-100 induction soldering station. The handles connect via a standard co-axial connector. So this got me thinking. I have two handles and switching back and forth is annoying. Hakko has the perfect solution (for them) to this quandary. They have a frame that allows you to stack 2x FX-100 bases. LOL.

I got thinking, could I use a coaxial switcher? I had this on my Colecovision, but that was just an analog signal. It stands to reason that the Hakko device outputs at much higher energy given its need to melt metals. I can't measure the Hakko output as it won't output until it detects a tip. And, while I'm checking with Hakko, I doubt they will reveal their proprietary information (output specs).

So I found the below spec sheet online. And this switcher, which is rated at 1000 watts: https://www.ebay.com/itm/143936205790

Sure it consumes 85w in, but that could be stepped up by a transformer if my [battery bombed levels of] rusty memory of Ohm's Law serves.

Wondering if the output frequency number tells us enough to determine if I can use that switcher to easily move between different handles.

Thoughts?

1709921932270.png