Grail Item Acquired - Twentieth Anniversary Mac

François

Tinkerer
Aug 9, 2022
France
If there’s a drop-in flat panel replacement it will work in both the TAM and 3400. But the TAM doesn’t have the same space constraint as a PowerBook, and the LCD isn’t driven directly by the motherboard, it is connected to a driver board that is itself connected to the motherboard. It’s why I was asking about VGA signals from the TAM’s motherboard: if we can get VGA output from the motherboard, we can then replace the whole display (driver board + LCD) with a modern flat panel and VGA driver board. And hopefully there’s enough room inside the TAM for the driver board and new attachments for the panel.

Reactions: Jockelill

KnobsNSwitches

Tinkerer
Nov 2, 2021
Very cool. How does the turn table work into the TAM? Is the amplifier going to the mic in?
The turntable goes to a phono preamp, and both it and the Cambridge (basically a fancy iPod, digital audio/spotify player) go to an RCA switchbox, which then goes to the TAM's mic in. So the TAM's sound is set to 'Sound In' and acts as the the amplifier.

KnobsNSwitches

Tinkerer
Nov 2, 2021
Can the TAM amplify sound? 🎶📢:cool:
Sure, just about any System 7 or later Mac can if there is a sound in port. It's just most of them don't have any special speakers or anything, so it's probably not a common use case. Just set the sound input in the Sound control panel to 'Sound in' and crank up your music.

I've done it on a few different Macs, it's nice to have a CD player and visualizer all in one.

• Wow
Reactions: retr01

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Well my screen arrived sealed from Apple in 1997 and now freshly installed in my TAM, it's waited 25 years to be opened and used and its brand new, the screen looks absolutely amazing! I added a photo below (yes the TAM needs some TLC and its in the works) what I noticed is the replacement and the original in mine were a Samsung 12.1" 600x800 TFT LCD part number LT121S4. I did some looking and I found a site that actually has a few in stock so if anyone needs one I say give this site a shot I cannot validate it though as I didn't use it.
Replacement Screen Link
Photo of My TAM Before vs. After
IMG_1388.PNG
tempImageyIbWmC.jpg

Sealed Packaging
IMG_1727 2.jpeg

IMG_1728 2.jpeg

IMG_1729 2.jpeg

IMG_1730 2.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Patrick and retr01