Great Little Machine -- what is it?

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
early on in the Macintosh project (pre steve jobs taking over) it was going to be a little 6502 computer. at some point they decided on 68000. but i don't know the details.

https://www.folklore.org/ is a good site to read up on the development of the mac side of things.

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
i just finished the video. Thanks for posting ! very interesting..

First they did say it was a 68000 . a few times actually. Based on this video i think it was just a little prototype thing to run a big screen. It didn't run any Lisa nor Mac software. Later he made another prototype that they also show that was going to be the Big Mac. But the project was canceled and it was never made into a product. What apple did instead was the Macintosh II.

Sorry if i didn't answer the question. i'm not sure i fully understand the question. but i did the best i could based on what i understood from the video.

p.s. i found Rich Page a little hard to understand on the video. so i turned on CC. but it was often wrong also. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit: found this link where somebody talks about the Big mac prototype. He was developing MacPaint 2.0

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac84