Cyclone740

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
Hi again everyone. I am finally getting around to more of my projects that have been on the back burner for a while (in some cases upto 8 years), and I am wanting to get one really annoying one out the way.

You see I have a HP ProBook 640 G1, that I got from an Ewaste place that I used to go to. Sadly, when I got it home and decided to install Windows 10 onto it, I just couldn't. I tried for ages, and then I realised that I wasn't making any changes in the BIOS/UEFI.

Well that isn't entirely true.

I was making changes to the settings that I could (that should have been my second clue), but they weren't sticking, it wasn't until I looked a bit closer at the login screen for the BIOS/UEFI that I realised that the previous company hadn't logged out and removed the password. So all I was doing was entering the guest mode.

I have tried looking around for a dump of the bios, but I haven't been able to find it. I have found a listing on ebay for some replacement bios chips for the device, but I am hoping that someone out there had either a similar laptop, the 650 G1 is also a compatible bios from what I have read, and might be able to make a dump of the BIOS/UEFI without the security.

This way I can then look at replacing the code on the chip manually, whether that is by injecting it using a Rasberry Pi Pico, or if it is using a program on windows 8.1, don't laugh or mock my choice, it was the only version that I could get running on it that wasn't windows 7 or older or even server, also I tried linux a little but I was really new to the understanding of it, and it didn't work either, besides windows 8.1 isn't actually all that bad once you get used to the quirks of the system.

Also if no one has the firmware, could you maybe point me in the direction of a download for the files?

Also as a heads up I may be posting some more moving forward looking for more help, because like I said, I am working on completing a lot of the projects that I have had on the back burner.

Thank you all so much.