Help with Zterm please?

SolitairePilot

New Tinkerer
Mar 7, 2022
I’ve never used Zterm before so keep that in mind. I loaded in the keyboard layout for Z term and when I try to type into the terminal, nothing shows up. Can anyone inform me how to fix this? It’s a 4mb Macintosh Plus running system 7.1 and Zterm 1.1. I’ve looked on the internet and at the documentation to no avail.

Last edited:

speakers

Tinkerer
Nov 5, 2021
San Jose, CA
peak-weber.net
You'll need something on the other end of the line to return characters. Connect your machine to another through a null modem cable. Make sure the speed and encodings match.

I occasionally use Zterm on my SE to connect to a serial line (e.g. serial console) of another machine to log-in or get serial logging.

SolitairePilot

New Tinkerer
Mar 7, 2022
You'll need something on the other end of the line to return characters. Connect your machine to another through a null modem cable. Make sure the speed and encodings match.

I occasionally use Zterm on my SE to connect to a serial line (e.g. serial console) of another machine to log-in or get serial logging.
Thank you! I have my machine connected to an Oldnet serial wifi modem, but I guess my cable is the wrong pinout, Zterm sees the modem and even named it “wifi” but maybe the cable is grounding the pin used to transfer the rest of the data. I’ll mess around with other cables. Thank’s for responding.

Nixontheknight

Tinkerer
Nov 3, 2021
Thank you! I have my machine connected to an Oldnet serial wifi modem, but I guess my cable is the wrong pinout, Zterm sees the modem and even named it “wifi” but maybe the cable is grounding the pin used to transfer the rest of the data. I’ll mess around with other cables. Thank’s for responding.
You have to use a null modem adapter with it, I believe

Nov 4, 2021
Tucson, AZ
Nah, the hardware flow control lines aren't level shifted and exposed on TheOldNet modem.
Out of the box it's 300 buad 8/n/1 and is wired to be a RS232 device (DCE) not a computer (DTE). I usually use mine plugged straight into a USB-Serial adapter with no cables or adapters.
You do need to connect the USB for power. There isn't power to be gotten from a serial port.